Subdomains

Jonathan Wood

Perhaps someone who understand Web hosting can offer some insight into this.

I have several sites hosted at http://www.crystaltech.com. There were highly
recommended and seem pretty good. But this weekend I tried to create some
subdomains. For example, subdomain1.domain.com and subdomain2.domain.com.

While Crystal Tech supports this, subdomains must point to an IP address.
Therefore, it is not possible to point the subdomain to a subdirectory on
the same site, which is my preference. I can redirect is but then I end up
with a URL like subdomain1.domain.com/subdomain1, which I don't care for.

On the other hand, GoDaddy.com allows an umlimited number of subdomains and
they can all point to subdirectories on the same site.

Is Crystal Tech lame? Or is GoDaddy unusual in this case? I just don't want
to have to purchase yet another account for a subdomain of a site that uses
only a tiny percent of the resources available to that account.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Jonathan Wood

I'm sorry I'm lost. This is a shared hosting company, as indicated. My ISP
has nothing to do with this. Other than that, I didn't really understand
what you're saying.