Subscribing to mailing list

Meador Inge

Hello All,

I am having trouble subscribing to the ruby-talk mailing list (I am
using google groups right now). At one point in time I was subscribed,
but then I unsubscribed. When I recently tried to subscribe again I got
no response from the mail controller. I have tried sending 'help' and
'status' commands, but no luck. I also tried mailing the administrator
(twice), but no reply (my mail may have never gotten through?). Has any
one had similiar problems? Help with this issue would be greatly
appreciated.

--Meador

Robert Klemme

Meador said:
Hello All,

I am having trouble subscribing to the ruby-talk mailing list (I am
using google groups right now). At one point in time I was subscribed,
but then I unsubscribed. When I recently tried to subscribe again I got
no response from the mail controller. I have tried sending 'help' and
'status' commands, but no luck. I also tried mailing the administrator
(twice), but no reply (my mail may have never gotten through?). Has any
one had similiar problems? Help with this issue would be greatly
appreciated.

It seems you are confusing news and email: on one hand you talk about
the ruby-talk mailing list and then you say that you use google groups
(= news) to subscribe to it. Could that be the cause of your "problem"?

Kind regards

robert

Meador Inge

It seems you are confusing news and email: on one hand you talk about
the ruby-talk mailing list and then you say that you use google groups
(= news) to subscribe to it. Could that be the cause of your "problem"?
What I meant by 'using google groups right now' was that I was using
google groups to view the contents of "ruby-talk"* and post my current
message. I understand the difference between the newsgroup and the
mailing list. I have been using google groups from sometime know and
have grown tired of it. I would like to be subscribed to the actual
mailing list.

--Meador

* From what I understand ruby-talk and comp.lang.ruby are replicated to
one another.

Robert Klemme

Meador said:
What I meant by 'using google groups right now' was that I was using
google groups to view the contents of "ruby-talk"* and post my current
message. I understand the difference between the newsgroup and the
mailing list. I have been using google groups from sometime know and
have grown tired of it. I would like to be subscribed to the actual
mailing list.

Ah, ok.
* From what I understand ruby-talk and comp.lang.ruby are replicated to
one another.

That's true - sort of. The gateway doesn't work very good.
Unfortunately I have no other advice than what you did already (try to
subscribe again, contact list admin). An additional alternative might
be to use a different email address (if only for testing purposes).

Cheers

robert