substitution question

matt

I am parsing through a text file and trying the following substitution:
$_=~s/([(])"/$1\+37/g;

I am looking for times where there are (" in the text file and I need
those to be replaced with (+37

However, the substitution is replacing (" with (+3 7 <===space between
the 3 and the 7

What is wrong with this substitution?

Thanks in advance
Matt

Paul Lalli

matt said:
I am parsing through a text file and trying the following substitution:
$_=~s/([(])"/$1\+37/g;

I am looking for times where there are (" in the text file and I need
those to be replaced with (+37

However, the substitution is replacing (" with (+3 7 <===space between
the 3 and the 7

What is wrong with this substitution?

Nothing.

Please post a SHORT but COMPLETE script that demonstrates this failure.

While the code you posted should work as you described, the following
looks much cleaner to me, and should do the same thing:

Paul Lalli