sudden segmentation faults. help?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by hymie!, Jan 4, 2014.

  1. hymie!

    hymie! Guest

    So I'm not sure what I did, but the perl installation I've been using
    is suddenly giving me segmentation faults when I try to load certain
    modules. Not all of them, just certain ones.

    herman-pts/2:~% perl -v

    This is perl 5, version 16, subversion 2 (v5.16.2) built for
    i686-linux-thread-multi

    herman-pts/1:~% perl
    use Socket;
    use Carp;
    ues strict;
    use App::Cpan;
    zsh: segmentation fault perl

    herman-pts/2:~% perl -MCGI
    zsh: segmentation fault perl -MCGI

    herman-pts/2:~% perl -MTime::Local
    zsh: segmentation fault perl -MTime::Local

    herman-pts/2:~% perldoc
    zsh: segmentation fault perldoc

    I don't know what I did, if I installed or uninstalled a corrupt
    module, or a library changed and I don't know which one. I'd be
    happy to provide an strace , but I don't know what I'm looking
    for. I don't see anything obvious:

    herman-pts/2:~% strace perldoc CGI
    [...]
    read(4, "groff\n -l Display the module"..., 8192) = 8192
    brk(0x8275000) = 0x8275000
    read(4, "lf->render_and_page(\\@found);\n}\n\n"..., 8192) = 8192
    --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
    +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

    herman-pts/2:~% strace cpan
    [...]
    read(7, "package Exporter;\n\nrequire 5.006;"..., 8192) = 8192
    _llseek(7, 2366, [2366], SEEK_SET) = 0
    _llseek(7, 0, [2366], SEEK_CUR) = 0
    close(7) = 0
    read(6, "/pwd', # OS/400 PASE.\n\t\t) {\n\n "..., 8192) = 8192
    brk(0x8233000) = 0x8233000
    read(6, "-l $path) {\n\t my $link_target "..., 8192) = 5378
    --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
    +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

    I'd really rather not download and install a whole new version of perl,
    because then I'll probably have to redo mod_perl and all that other
    stuff. But perhaps I have no choice?

    --hymie! http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie

    hymie!, Jan 4, 2014

  2. hymie!

    hymie! Guest

    I haven't run memtest86 yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm looking at a
    hardware issue, and not a perl issue.

    Thanks.

    --hymie! http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie

    hymie!, Jan 5, 2014