sudden segmentation faults. help?

hymie!

So I'm not sure what I did, but the perl installation I've been using
is suddenly giving me segmentation faults when I try to load certain
modules. Not all of them, just certain ones.

herman-pts/2:~% perl -v

This is perl 5, version 16, subversion 2 (v5.16.2) built for
i686-linux-thread-multi

herman-pts/1:~% perl
use Socket;
use Carp;
ues strict;
use App::Cpan;
zsh: segmentation fault perl

herman-pts/2:~% perl -MCGI
zsh: segmentation fault perl -MCGI

herman-pts/2:~% perl -MTime::Local
zsh: segmentation fault perl -MTime::Local

herman-pts/2:~% perldoc
zsh: segmentation fault perldoc

I don't know what I did, if I installed or uninstalled a corrupt
module, or a library changed and I don't know which one. I'd be
happy to provide an strace , but I don't know what I'm looking
for. I don't see anything obvious:

herman-pts/2:~% strace perldoc CGI
[...]
read(4, "groff\n -l Display the module"..., 8192) = 8192
brk(0x8275000) = 0x8275000
read(4, "lf->render_and_page(\\@found);\n}\n\n"..., 8192) = 8192
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

herman-pts/2:~% strace cpan
[...]
read(7, "package Exporter;\n\nrequire 5.006;"..., 8192) = 8192
_llseek(7, 2366, [2366], SEEK_SET) = 0
_llseek(7, 0, [2366], SEEK_CUR) = 0
close(7) = 0
read(6, "/pwd', # OS/400 PASE.\n\t\t) {\n\n "..., 8192) = 8192
brk(0x8233000) = 0x8233000
read(6, "-l $path) {\n\t my $link_target "..., 8192) = 5378
--- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

I'd really rather not download and install a whole new version of perl,
because then I'll probably have to redo mod_perl and all that other
stuff. But perhaps I have no choice?

--hymie! http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie (e-mail address removed)

hymie!

Have you checked your hardware? Bad memory sometimes shows up like this.
If you can, try running memtest86.

I haven't run memtest86 yet, but I'm pretty sure I'm looking at a
hardware issue, and not a perl issue.

Thanks.

--hymie! http://lactose.homelinux.net/~hymie (e-mail address removed)