Suggestions needed for text extraction

Just in

I'm running 5.6.1 on Linux and have written code utilising X11::GUITest to
perform some very labour intensive click and expand routines. I am very
pleased with what has been achieved thus far, but I would like to achieve
more.

On execution of the code the GUI pops a window up. This window contains
letters that need selection by double clicking, dragging and dropping to
another window that can be spawned from the main GUI.

I've written code to ensure that the click and drag from one window to
another using X11::GUITest actually works. But in order to realise this the
code needs to know the XY coordinates of the letters that need to be
selected, dragged and dropped.

The problem is with the letters themselves, since they are of variable
length and can start at various coordinates since they are preceded with
line numbers that run from 1..9999 e.g.:

1 (A, B, CC, D, EE)
2 (X, Y)
..
..
..
5896 (PP, Q, RR, T, SSS)
..
..
..
9999 (N, M)

I'm able to control what line I want to select, but based on the above if I
wanted to select and drag PP, Q, RR, T, SSS how can I determine their
respective coordinates?

I was wondering if there is a way of capturing the screen image and parsing
it for anything in between brackets. From there I could determine how many
items need selecting, dragging and dropping and then from there I could look
for their XY coordinates from the captured image. I though of this wild idea
as I vaguely remember there being modules to do this sort of thing.

Does this sound feasible? If so what modules exist that would help me, and
if not what better suggestions do you have?

Any input [+-]'ve would be appreciated.

Thanks

Just in