[SUMMARY] Fractals (#125)

Ruby Quiz

I lied to Morton Goldberg.

I told him I thought a turtle graphics solution would be a unique approach not
many people would try. Boy was I wrong! That turns out to be the easiest way
to attack this problem and the solvers knew that a lot better than I did.

The solutions are very diverse and I had a hard time picking what to show. Some
solutions allowed you to customize the fractal drawn. Others offered various
forms of output, including some pretty pictures. Jesse Merriman's solution did
it all and I do recommend having a peek at that code.

For this summary though, I'm going to show Donald Ball's solution. I think it
captured the technique most people used well and it also included a unique form
of output. Let's take a look:

def instructions(level=1, list=[:forward])
if level == 1
list
else
instructions(level-1, list.map do |item|
case item
when :forward
[:forward, :left, :forward, :right,
:forward, :right, :forward, :left, :forward]
else item
end
end.flatten)
end
end

# ...

This method sums up the shortcuts pretty much everyone used. First, we have
turtle graphics style drawing. If we assume a turtle starts facing east, the
Array in the middle of this method contains the instructions to draw level one
of the fractal. It's much easier to work with a format like this than it is to
edit a large String or Array of paths.

The other shortcut was a simplification of the drawing pattern. It turns out
that just replacing all occurrences of the level zero pattern with the level one
pattern is all it takes to transform any level of the pattern into the next
level.

Knowing that, this method is a recursive implementation of those shortcuts. It
begins with the level zero pattern and for each level it performs the
replacement I mentioned earlier. The end result will be a long path for drawing
the entire target level.

The next step is to convert those directions into and collection of points that
could be plotted:

# ...

DIRECTIONS = [:east, :south, :west, :north]

def plot(instructions)
p = [0, 0]
points = [p]
direction = :east
instructions.each do |item|
case item
when :forward
p = p.dup
case direction
when :east: p[0] += 1
when :south: p[1] -= 1
when :west: p[0] -= 1
when :north: p[1] += 1
end
points << p
when :left
direction = DIRECTIONS[(DIRECTIONS.index(direction) - 1) % 4]
when :right
direction = DIRECTIONS[(DIRECTIONS.index(direction) + 1) % 4]
end
end
points
end

# ...

This method generates a collection of points from the path of :forward, :left,
and :right instructions. It works by tracking the direction the turtle is
currently facing and moving by incrementing the points as indicated for that
direction. Turns simply change the direction.

Now, it's not so easy to flatten the coordinates into an ASCII art string and we
really want to see these fractals as an image anyway, so Donald opted for an
unusual means of output. Donald's program builds a web page that can draw the
fractal (as long as it is displayed in Safari or Firefox). Here's the code:

# ...

def to_html(points, width=600, height=400)
length = [width/points.map {|p| p[0]}.max,
height/points.map {|p| p[1]}.max].min
points.map! {|p| p.map {|x| x*length}}
s = '<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" '
s << '"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">'
s << "\n<html><head>"
s << "<script type='text/javascript'>\n"
s << "<!--\n"
s << "function draw() {\n"
s << "var context = document.getElementById('canvas').getContext('2d');\n"
s << "context.lineWidth = 1;\n"
s << "context.strokeStyle = '#ff0000';\n"
s << "context.beginPath();\n"
p = points.shift
s << "context.moveTo(#{p[0]},#{p[1]});\n"
points.each {|p| s << "context.lineTo(#{p[0]}, #{p[1]});\n" }
s << "context.stroke();\n"
s << "}\n"
s << "//-->\n"
s << "</script>"
s << "<body onload='draw()'>"
s << "<canvas id='canvas' width='#{width}' height='#{height}'></canvas>"
s << "</body></html>"
end

# ...

The work here is pretty simple. First the code finds a good line width for the
fractal by measuring how much space the canvas has for width and height. All
the points are then scaled by that length. This is done with simple
multiplication since the scale was previously one.

The output is some HTML preamble followed by a JavaScript section that does the
real work. The prepares a drawing context and then literally just plays connect
the dots with the points. There's a little more HTML to close things up and
invoke the drawing routine and, presto, we have a self drawing web page.

As written, this code draws fractals upside down (in comparison to the quiz
examples). If you want to flip them over, just change to two #{p[1]}
interpolations in the JavaScript to #{height - p[1]}.

We're just short the code to kick-off the process:

# ...

if $0 == __FILE__
puts to_html(plot(instructions(ARGV[0].to_i))) if ARGV.length == 1
end

As usual, this code is trivial. Generate instructions() for the requested
lever, hand those off to plot() to get the coordinates, and filter those through
to_html() to get a printable web page.

My thanks to all who showed me just how powerful turtle graphics can be. I
should have never doubted.

Tomorrow we will give a little time to a problem that has been making the rounds
in the hope of making ourselves more employable...