Sun certification for Java

Discussion in 'Java' started by Taki, Oct 20, 2003.

  1. Taki

    Taki Guest

    Hi all,

    I don't know this is the place to ask this kind of question,
    but I just want opinions from you guys.

    My question is, how much are the Sun certification for java
    valuable in terms of getting a job (maybe I should say getting
    an interview)? Is the certified programmer for java enough
    to get some attention, or developer one is a must-have?

    If the certifications are not enough, then what can definitely attract
    employers besides # of years of paid work experience?

    If you could answer this as if you were hiring people, that would
    be great.

    Thanks in advance

    Taki

    Taki, Oct 20, 2003

  2. Taki

    Paul Lutus Guest

    Experience is all that counts, period, end of story. With rare exception, if
    you have experience and no qualifications, you will be hired. If you have
    qualifications and no experience, you will not be hired.

    Paul Lutus, Oct 20, 2003

  3. Taki

    Taki Guest

    Thans for your quick feedback.

    Then, does experience have to be paid one? Do companies consider
    non-paid experience (e.g., open source projects, own projects and
    volunteers, etc)
    as experience? Also, would companies consider co-op experience as
    experience?

    Thanks in advance

    Taki

    Taki, Oct 20, 2003
  4. Taki

    Adam Maass Guest

    Barring paid experience, yes, probably. You'll need to practice your story
    in terms of business goals and results achieved, even if the experience
    you're talking about isn't paid. Companies are looking for who can achieve
    results for them at the least total cost. Most bang for the buck, as they
    say.

    -- Adam Maass

    Adam Maass, Oct 21, 2003
  5. Taki

    Paul Lutus Guest

    Taki wrote:

    Does what have to be what? I forgot to mention before, you have to sound
    coherent when you apply for a job. Most employers care about literacy and
    clarity in communications, some do not, but all of them know it is
    important to professional success. Most will choose a person who has clear
    communication skills over one who does not.

    Paul Lutus, Oct 21, 2003
  6. Taki

    JavaWebExam Guest

    In my experience, it was probably most usefull for contractors to
    prove they had the knowledge.
    In terms of jobs as a developer, in my experience in the UK ... you
    need a degree for the first stage, experience for the next.
    Certification is just a 'nice to have' thing to help you gain that bit
    extra over the next guy.
    Ive only ever seen badly paid jobs advertise for only certification.

    If you dont have a degree, and little work experience...I would
    probably advise getting envloved in some open source work in your
    spare time, perhaps create a new sourceforge project or offer to help
    out in an existing project you are interested in (perhaps offer to
    write Junit tests for them, etc).

    Regards,
    Simon

    See
    http://www.javawebexam.com
    for some cerfication information

    JavaWebExam, Oct 21, 2003
  7. Taki

    Taki Guest

    Thanks, I'll improve my communication skill, then!

    Taki, Oct 21, 2003
  8. Taki

    Taki Guest

    Thanks for your feedback!!

    Taki

    Taki, Oct 21, 2003
  9. Taki

    Taki Guest

    It's interesting that what is most important to be hired is different in
    countries. I am from Japan, and it's like UK in japan. Experience is not
    important.
    (actually, having experience is not usually good, because japanese companies
    are looking for the young ugrads who just graduated one of famous
    universities.
    Having experience means they are older than fresh grads, so it's not a
    totally
    good thing sometimes.)

    But now I am in Canada and, I found that almost all companies in Canada & US
    want experienced developers! I like visiting monster.ca and see what kind
    of
    jobs there are at the time, but all I see is: *** years of experience in ...
    :(

    I always wonder, if all the companies want experience developers, what can
    new grads do?! How did all develpers get experience & get hired??
    It's still a mystery to me....

    Yes, I think that's the better idea to at least get something from it than
    sitting around at home and doing nothing:)

    Thanks a lot for your feedback.

    Taki

    Taki, Oct 21, 2003
  10. Taki

    Paul Lutus Guest

    Taki wrote:

    They write programs on their own and try to sell them (or post them for free
    or shareware). This is how I started out in programming, but before anyone
    hired me, I had become a multimillionaire, so it didn't matter.
    Not to me. :)

    Paul Lutus, Oct 21, 2003
  11. Taki

    Taki Guest

    They write programs on their own and try to sell them (or post them for
    free
    wow, I should start writing something I can sell :)

    Thanks for your comment!

    Taki

    Taki, Oct 21, 2003