Sun certification for Java

Taki

Hi all,

I don't know this is the place to ask this kind of question,
but I just want opinions from you guys.

My question is, how much are the Sun certification for java
valuable in terms of getting a job (maybe I should say getting
an interview)? Is the certified programmer for java enough
to get some attention, or developer one is a must-have?

If the certifications are not enough, then what can definitely attract
employers besides # of years of paid work experience?

If you could answer this as if you were hiring people, that would
be great.

Thanks in advance

Taki

Paul Lutus

Taki said:
Hi all,

I don't know this is the place to ask this kind of question,
but I just want opinions from you guys.

My question is, how much are the Sun certification for java
valuable in terms of getting a job (maybe I should say getting
an interview)? Is the certified programmer for java enough
to get some attention, or developer one is a must-have?

If the certifications are not enough, then what can definitely attract
employers besides # of years of paid work experience?

Experience is all that counts, period, end of story. With rare exception, if
you have experience and no qualifications, you will be hired. If you have
qualifications and no experience, you will not be hired.

Taki

Paul Lutus said:
Experience is all that counts, period, end of story. With rare exception, if
you have experience and no qualifications, you will be hired. If you have
qualifications and no experience, you will not be hired.

Thans for your quick feedback.

Then, does experience have to be paid one? Do companies consider
non-paid experience (e.g., open source projects, own projects and
volunteers, etc)
as experience? Also, would companies consider co-op experience as
experience?

Thanks in advance

Taki

Adam Maass

Taki said:
[D]oes experience have to be paid one? Do companies consider
non-paid experience (e.g., open source projects, own projects and
volunteers, etc)
as experience? Also, would companies consider co-op experience as
experience?

Barring paid experience, yes, probably. You'll need to practice your story
in terms of business goals and results achieved, even if the experience
you're talking about isn't paid. Companies are looking for who can achieve
results for them at the least total cost. Most bang for the buck, as they
say.

-- Adam Maass

Paul Lutus

Taki wrote:

Then, does experience have to be paid one?

Does what have to be what? I forgot to mention before, you have to sound
coherent when you apply for a job. Most employers care about literacy and
clarity in communications, some do not, but all of them know it is
important to professional success. Most will choose a person who has clear
communication skills over one who does not.

JavaWebExam

In my experience, it was probably most usefull for contractors to
prove they had the knowledge.
In terms of jobs as a developer, in my experience in the UK ... you
need a degree for the first stage, experience for the next.
Certification is just a 'nice to have' thing to help you gain that bit
extra over the next guy.
Ive only ever seen badly paid jobs advertise for only certification.

If you dont have a degree, and little work experience...I would
probably advise getting envloved in some open source work in your
spare time, perhaps create a new sourceforge project or offer to help
out in an existing project you are interested in (perhaps offer to
write Junit tests for them, etc).

Regards,
Simon

See
http://www.javawebexam.com
for some cerfication information

Taki

JavaWebExam said:
In my experience, it was probably most usefull for contractors to
prove they had the knowledge.
In terms of jobs as a developer, in my experience in the UK ... you
need a degree for the first stage, experience for the next.
Certification is just a 'nice to have' thing to help you gain that bit
extra over the next guy.
Ive only ever seen badly paid jobs advertise for only certification.

It's interesting that what is most important to be hired is different in
countries. I am from Japan, and it's like UK in japan. Experience is not
important.
(actually, having experience is not usually good, because japanese companies
are looking for the young ugrads who just graduated one of famous
universities.
Having experience means they are older than fresh grads, so it's not a
totally
good thing sometimes.)

But now I am in Canada and, I found that almost all companies in Canada & US
want experienced developers! I like visiting monster.ca and see what kind
of
jobs there are at the time, but all I see is: *** years of experience in ...
:(

I always wonder, if all the companies want experience developers, what can
new grads do?! How did all develpers get experience & get hired??
It's still a mystery to me....

If you dont have a degree, and little work experience...I would
probably advise getting envloved in some open source work in your
spare time, perhaps create a new sourceforge project or offer to help
out in an existing project you are interested in (perhaps offer to
write Junit tests for them, etc).

Yes, I think that's the better idea to at least get something from it than
sitting around at home and doing nothing:)

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Taki

Paul Lutus

Taki wrote:

I always wonder, if all the companies want experience developers, what can
new grads do?! How did all develpers get experience & get hired??

They write programs on their own and try to sell them (or post them for free
or shareware). This is how I started out in programming, but before anyone
hired me, I had become a multimillionaire, so it didn't matter.
It's still a mystery to me....

Not to me. :)

Taki

They write programs on their own and try to sell them (or post them for
free
or shareware). This is how I started out in programming, but before anyone
hired me, I had become a multimillionaire, so it didn't matter.

wow, I should start writing something I can sell :)

Thanks for your comment!

Taki