super.clone() puzzlement

Mark Space

Tom said:
How is it an alternative? Here's the situation:
Not if you only have one class to clone, no. But that's not the case.

Right. My alternative worked as well as yours did, it was just simpler.
I was summarizing your code. What you are proposing cannot work.

Lew

Tom said:
All part of the bottlefight masterplan!

:)

I was chatting to a pub landlord a few months ago. I'd stopped off at
his pub on a bike ride, to get a drink. I said i wanted to drink it
outside, and expected him to give me a plastic glass. He didn't - i got
real glass. I asked him about this, and he said he thought it was better
to use glass than plastic. Partly because he doesn't like plastic cups
himself, but also because they're actually *more* dangerous in fights -
you can easily break a plastic cup to make some flimsy but really quite
sharp shards, with which you could cut someone or poke an eye out, but
since bar glasses are made of toughened glass, if you smash one of
those, it just fragments into a thousand pieces, none of which are any
use as weapons (unless your enemy is a bicycle tyre). This idea of
breaking a glass or bottle and using it as a weapon is, apparently,
purely a figment of Hollywood's imagination.

Besides, I'll have my katana with me.

RedGrittyBrick

Lew said:
Besides, I'll have my katana with me.

Tom's only allowed a three-inch katana in his neck of the woods. Perhaps
he should visit Zed's place to pick up something better before dropping
in on you?