    scanner.

    Anyone got any ideas?

    Edward

    teddysnips, Oct 13, 2005

  2. teddysnips

    Guest Guest

    Nope... you are probably out of luck, especially since it's a Web interface.
    You would have to have some sort of client addin/component built and
    installed but in the end even that may not help since the scanner simply
    emulates a keyboard.

    Guest, Oct 13, 2005

  3. teddysnips

    Lucas Tam Guest

    wrote in @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    With IE, you cannot disable ALL keystrokes anyways.

    If there is a such a requirement, you might want to consider using a
    winforms login page instead... and somehow tie it into your web app.

    Lucas Tam, Oct 13, 2005
  4. teddysnips

    Bruce Barker Guest

    you would need an write active/x control. you would then plug the scanner
    into a seperate serial port (not the keyboard). the active/x control would
    then poll the scanner's serial port for input, and raise an event on input
    for client script to handle. you would use a hidden field that the client
    script used to post the login id, so the keyboard would be disabled.

    -- bruce (sqlwork.com)

    Bruce Barker, Oct 13, 2005
  5. teddysnips

    teddysnips Guest

    Thanks to you and to all other respondents. It's a fixed price
    contract and we've agreed the work, so I'll just tell them to remove
    the keyboard. That's the easiest solution, and the most foolproof
    (until the scanner goes AWOL).

    Edward

    teddysnips, Oct 13, 2005
  6. teddysnips

    tehka

    Joined:
    Sep 5, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I am needing to implement a similar feature in my VB program.

    Perhaps this is not really impossible after all. My idea is by assuming that the human cannot type faster than a barcode reader. If let us say we are scanning a string of 10 characters long, the barcode reader could do it in 0.5 seconds while a human is assumed to be able to type it in 2 seconds.

    So from the first character typed, we add a timer. If the complete string is not inserted within that time frame, then it will time out. let me know what you think

    tehka, Sep 5, 2006