swing problem: can't update JPanel

djbitchpimp

I am making a simple media player for the Java Media Framework.
Basically I want it to be able to open a video from a url and play it
in a swing component.

The problem I am having is that when I start my player, the JPanel that
I want to redraw with the player window will not refresh itself to show
the video screen. Right now it is displaying the control panel
component but not the video component.

I am not very familiar with swing, so could someone please point out
any obvious errors in my code where this might be happening? Thanks!

import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.event.*;
import javax.swing.*;
import javax.media.*;

public class MediaPlayerGui implements ActionListener{

protected JFrame clientWin ; // window frame
protected Component playerWin ; // the visual component of the player
protected Component controls ; // player controls
final JFileChooser open = new JFileChooser () ;
final JButton stopButton = new JButton ("Stop"); // stop button
final JButton openButton = new JButton ("Open File"); // open button
final JButton openURLButton = new JButton ("Open URL"); // openURL
button
final JTextField URLlocation = new JTextField (22) ; // URL text area
final JLabel URLLabel = new JLabel ("URL:") ;
final JLabel loopStartLab = new JLabel ("Loop Start:") ;
final JLabel loopEndLab = new JLabel ("Loop End:") ;
final JTextField loopStart = new JTextField (7);
final JTextField loopEnd = new JTextField (7);
final JPanel pane = new JPanel(new BorderLayout ());
final JCheckBox loopCheck = new JCheckBox ("Auto Restart") ;
final JCheckBox autoCheck = new JCheckBox ("Loop") ;
final JPanel windowPanel = new JPanel () ;
Player player ;
String dataLocation = new String () ; // a string to hold the data
location
MediaLocator dataSource ; // the datasource to be played
GridBagConstraints c = new GridBagConstraints();
//DataSource mediaSource = new DataSource () ;

public MediaPlayerGui () {
Manager man ;

dataSource = new MediaLocator (dataLocation) ;

// get the preferred size of the media source

player = null ;

windowPanel.setLayout(new GridLayout (0,1)) ;
windowPanel.setBorder(BorderFactory.createEmptyBorder(
0, //top
0, //left
240, //bottom
320) //right
);
windowPanel.setBackground(Color.black) ;

}

public Component createComponents() {

stopButton.addActionListener(this);
openButton.addActionListener(this);
openURLButton.addActionListener(this);

pane.setLayout (new GridBagLayout ());

c.gridx = 0;
c.gridy = 0;
c.anchor = GridBagConstraints.LINE_START ;
pane.add(openButton, c);

c.gridx = 1;
pane.add(stopButton, c);

c.gridx = 0;
c.gridy = 1;
c.gridwidth = 4 ;
pane.add(windowPanel, c);

c.gridx = 0;
c.gridy = 2;
pane.add(URLLabel, c);

c.gridx = 1;
c.gridy = 2;
pane.add(URLlocation, c);

c.gridx = 0;
c.gridy = 3;
pane.add(openURLButton, c);

c.gridx = 0;
c.gridy = 4;
pane.add(loopCheck, c);

c.gridx = 0;
c.gridy = 5;
pane.add(autoCheck, c);

c.gridx = 0;
c.gridy = 6;
pane.add(loopStartLab, c);

c.gridx = 1;
c.gridy = 6;
pane.add(loopStart, c);

c.gridx = 0;
c.gridy = 7;
pane.add(loopEndLab, c);

c.gridx = 1;
c.gridy = 7;
pane.add(loopEnd, c);

return pane;

JFrame clientWin = new JFrame ("Media Player") ;
MediaPlayerGui window = new MediaPlayerGui () ;
Component contents = window.createComponents() ;
clientWin.getContentPane().add(contents);

clientWin.pack();
clientWin.setVisible(true);

clientWin.addWindowListener(new WindowAdapter() {
public void windowClosing(WindowEvent e) {
System.exit(0);
}
});
}

public void actionPerformed (ActionEvent e) {
if (e.getSource() == openButton) {
int returnVal = open.showOpenDialog(pane);
}
else if (e.getSource() == stopButton) {
player.stop () ;

}
else if (e.getSource() == openURLButton) {
// get the text from the textbox
String URL = URLlocation.getText() ;

// make a medialocator with that URL
dataSource = new MediaLocator (URL) ;
//System.out.println(URL) ;

try {
player = Manager.createRealizedPlayer(dataSource) ;
} catch (Exception ex) {
ex.printStackTrace() ;
}

playerWin = player.getVisualComponent() ;
controls = player.getControlPanelComponent() ;

windowPanel.add (playerWin) ;
windowPanel.add (controls) ;
player.start () ;
windowPanel.repaint();

Thomas Weidenfeller

The problem I am having is that when I start my player, the JPanel that
I want to redraw with the player window will not refresh itself to show
the video screen. Right now it is displaying the control panel
component but not the video component.

Likely the typical threading mistake. See the comp.lang.java.gui FAQ,
list of the Top 5 questions.

/Thomas