Display a JPanel

Jenny

Hi All,

I have two code. Could you tell me why first one hide the JPanel
initially but second one does not? Pleaes run them and see the
result. Thanks a lot

Jenny

First:
import java.awt.*;
import javax.swing.*;
public class Mango {
JFrame f = new JFrame("The Frame");
f.setLocation(100, 100);
Container content = new JPanel( );
content.add(new JLabel("Mango"));
content.add(new JButton("Mango"));
f.setContentPane(content);
f.setVisible(true);

second:

import java.awt.*;
import javax.swing.*;

public class LottoMadness extends JFrame {

// set up row 1
JPanel row1 = new JPanel();
ButtonGroup option = new ButtonGroup();
JCheckBox quickpick = new JCheckBox("Quick Pick", false);
JCheckBox personal = new JCheckBox("Personal", true);
// set up row 2
JPanel row2 = new JPanel();
JLabel numbersLabel = new JLabel("Your picks ", JLabel.RIGHT);
JTextField[] numbers = new JTextField[6];
JLabel winnersLabel = new JLabel("Winners ", JLabel.RIGHT);
JTextField[] winners = new JTextField[6];
// set up row 3
JPanel row3 = new JPanel();
JButton stop = new JButton("Stop");
JButton play = new JButton("Play");
JButton reset = new JButton("Reset");
// set up row 4
JPanel row4 = new JPanel();
JLabel got3Label = new JLabel("3 of 6 ", JLabel.RIGHT);
JTextField got3 = new JTextField();
JLabel got4Label = new JLabel("4 of 6 ", JLabel.RIGHT);
JTextField got4 = new JTextField();
JLabel got5Label = new JLabel("5 of 6 ", JLabel.RIGHT);
JTextField got5 = new JTextField();
JLabel got6Label = new JLabel("6 of 6 ", JLabel.RIGHT);
JTextField got6 = new JTextField(10);
JLabel drawingsLabel = new JLabel("Drawings ", JLabel.RIGHT);
JTextField drawings = new JTextField();
JLabel yearsLabel = new JLabel("Years ", JLabel.RIGHT);
JTextField years = new JTextField();

public LottoMadness() {
super("Lotto Madness");
setSize(550, 270);
setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE);
GridLayout layout = new GridLayout(5, 1, 10, 10);
Container pane = getContentPane();
pane.setLayout(layout);

FlowLayout layout1 = new FlowLayout(FlowLayout.CENTER,
10, 10);
option.add(quickpick);
option.add(personal);
row1.setLayout(layout1);
row1.add(quickpick);
row1.add(personal);
pane.add(row1);

GridLayout layout2 = new GridLayout(2, 7, 10, 10);
row2.setLayout(layout2);
row2.setLayout(layout2);
row2.add(numbersLabel);
for (int i = 0; i < 6; i++) {
numbers = new JTextField();
row2.add(numbers);
}
row2.add(winnersLabel);
for (int i = 0; i < 6; i++) {
winners = new JTextField();
winners.setEditable(false);
row2.add(winners);
}
pane.add(row2);

FlowLayout layout3 = new FlowLayout(FlowLayout.CENTER,
10, 10);
row3.setLayout(layout3);
stop.setEnabled(false);
row3.add(stop);
row3.add(play);
row3.add(reset);
pane.add(row3);

GridLayout layout4 = new GridLayout(2, 3, 20, 10);
row4.setLayout(layout4);
row4.add(got3Label);
got3.setEditable(false);
row4.add(got3);
row4.add(got4Label);
got4.setEditable(false);
row4.add(got4);
row4.add(got5Label);
got5.setEditable(false);
row4.add(got5);
row4.add(got6Label);
got6.setEditable(false);
row4.add(got6);
row4.add(drawingsLabel);
drawings.setEditable(false);
row4.add(drawings);
row4.add(yearsLabel);
years.setEditable(false);
row4.add(years);
pane.add(row4);
setContentPane(pane);
setVisible(true);
}

public static void main(String[] arguments) {
LottoMadness frame = new LottoMadness();

andrewh1

Jenny said:
Hi All,

I have two code. Could you tell me why first one hide the JPanel
initially but second one does not? Pleaes run them and see the
result. Thanks a lot

Jenny

First:
import java.awt.*;
import javax.swing.*;
public class Mango {
JFrame f = new JFrame("The Frame");
f.setLocation(100, 100);

try adding

f.setSize(550, 270);

which is the line taken from your "LottoMadness" class.