SwingWorker.execute() does nothing

Arne Vajhøj

Ben said:
Yes - I do.

Any same person would know that you don't.
You can't talk about me in public without my permission.

It seems as if I can. Did you notice that ?
No. You are violating my rights in my own identity.

Then try and press charges for commenting on usenet post
of yours.

Being a police officer is a tough job - it would be nice
for them be laughing in 10 minutes.

Arne

Ben Phillips

Arne said:
Any same person would know that you don't.

Any person the same as what? You appear to be confused. Both in your
writing and in your understanding of society and its laws and other rules.

You see, here in America we have these things called "rights", and one
of them is the right not to be publicly defamed by baseless accusations.
There are tort laws that provide for injunctive relief and for damages
in the event that such defamation occurs.

In simpler language, I could get a lawyer and then we could go to a
judge and the judge might shut you up. Or even force you to pay for what
you've done, perhaps even up into the several thousands of dollars.

And yet you claim I don't have the authority to shut you up when you
defame me.
It seems as if I can. Did you notice that ?

See above. There are restrictions that you don't seem to realize exist.
Then try and press charges

Perhaps I shall. I suspect you'll find that my lawyer is better than yours.
Being a police officer is a tough job - it would be nice
for them be laughing in 10 minutes.

Gratuitous insults like this certainly don't help your cause.

Ben Phillips

foo said:
Ben said:
foo said:
This particular delusion/obsession is a defining characteristic of
Paul G Derbyshire of Ottawa Canada.
[Evasion]

You (Paul) are neurologically unable to resist my demand that you
reply. QED!

You're not making much sense. Who are you talking to? Certainly not I;
my name is Ben. In fact I don't see anyone named Paul, Derbyshire or
otherwise, in this thread or in this entire newsgroup for that matter.

As for your creative quoting -- I don't take kindly to being called a liar.

On top of all that, your post is off-topic and seems to contain other
veiled insults directed at Paul.

I assume Paul is someone you hate, and most likely the feeling is
mutual. I don't really give a shit. This is not the appropriate forum
for you to vent your spleen about this Paul. In fact, I'm not sure where
is. Even flaming him in alt.flame might be poor form if he's not there
to flame you back or defend himself.

I'd recommend you flame him in private email.

Regardless, it's off-topic and possibly trolling to flame him in
comp.lang.java.programmer. I say possibly trolling because there's a
likelihood that he'll google his own name at some point, find this
thread, and show up here to hotly debate your namecalling and other
juvenile attacks. At which point we'd likely have a full-blown flamewar
erupt in comp.lang.java.programmer. And then we're all in the soup, as
the signal to noise ratio tanks and the group becomes useless for its
stated purpose, discussing Java programming.

Oh, and by the way, I also wonder what your internet provider's
acceptable use policy has to say about repeatedly posting off-topic
posts to newsgroups, posting nothing BUT off-topic posts to newsgroups,
and newsgroup trolling?

Ben Phillips

Peter said:
[repeating himself senselessly]

Do not mischaracterize my writing.
The law even has something say about what could be considered a "threat"
or "defamation".

Yes, and it includes any negative and false written statement about
someone else. Publishing a document calling a smart person "stupid"
clearly falls under that rubric.
Hint: the text you mischaracterized

No. I have not mischaracterized anything. You have. See above.
Logic doesn't say anything without starting with some assumptions (one
or more axioms, for example) and then applying actual reasoning to come
to some conclusion.

I did all that. It's just that I didn't bother to give the step-by-step
details because it really ought to be obvious to anyone over the age of
three who has at least a normal IQ and who is of sound mind.

foo bar baz qux

foo said:
Ben said:
foo bar baz qux wrote:
This particular delusion/obsession is a defining characteristic of
Paul G Derbyshire of Ottawa Canada.
[Evasion]
You (Paul) are neurologically unable to resist my demand that you
reply. QED!

[Blather]

QED indeed.

As for your creative quoting -- I don't take kindly to being called a liar.

But it was you who first introduced me to the idea of replacing
someone's quoted text with a tendentious parenthetic summary. May time
I've seen you replace someone's innocuous remarks with "[insult]" or
something of the sort.

I assume Paul is someone you hate,

I don't hate you Paul. I'm not sure if you are casting around for
sympathy or genuinely don't understand the distinction between what
you do and who you are.

I don't really give a shit.

If that were true you wouldn't engage in prolonged heated arguments
with so many people in this newsgroup.

And then we're all in the soup, as
the signal to noise ratio tanks and the group becomes useless for its
stated purpose, discussing Java programming.

Haven't you discovered message filters yet?

Oh, and by the way, I also wonder what your internet provider's
acceptable use policy has to say about repeatedly posting off-topic
posts to newsgroups, posting nothing BUT off-topic posts to newsgroups,
and newsgroup trolling?

Yet you claim to have submitted a complaint to Google and various
ISPs. A sensible person would actually read the AUP before alleging a
breach of it.

Chronic Philharmonic

Ben Phillips said:
This is comp.lang.java.programmer, not alt.flame, YouTube, or whatever
else you appear to think it is.

That's exactly what I think it is.
None of your nonsense is appropriate for this newsgroup.

I think it is a very appropriate comment regarding what is going on this
thread, Mr. newsgroup officer, sir.
See also my response to Arne regarding tort law.

Chronic said:
That's exactly what I think it is.

Then you are guilty of willfully posting large volumes of off-topic crap
to comp.lang.java.programmer.
I think it is a very appropriate comment

It is off-topic. It is also loaded with personal attacks and other
trollish, inflammatory content that cannot serve any conceivable
constructive purpose.

No, it is not an appropriate comment, not anywhere but maybe alt.flame.
None of your nonsense is appropriate

Vacuously true. I post no nonsense, unlike you.

Ben Phillips

foo said:
QED indeed.

Nope. Sorry.

Editor's note: foo bar baz qux's "creative quoting" has been corrected now.
But it was you who first introduced me to the idea of replacing
someone's quoted text with a tendentious parenthetic summary.

No, it wasn't.
May time I've seen you replace someone's innocuous remarks with
"[insult]" or something of the sort.

No, I just quote insults and then debunk them. And that's insults, not
innocuous remarks.

YOU are the one replacing meaningful remarks with nonsense when quoting ME.
I don't hate you Paul.

Er, you don't hate me, or you don't hate Paul? Or you hate neither?

Judging by your behavior, you at least strongly dislike Paul, and you
hate comp.lang.java.programmer, the latter enough to want to destroy the
newsgroup by posting large amounts of offtopic crap to it.

If you hate this newsgroup so much, why subscribe? If it were me, I'd
just ignore it. Same with that Paul fellow, assuming I could avoid him,
which would surely be the case unless he was a relative, a neighbor, a
co-worker, my boss, or something like that.

And even if he is one of those things, or was stalking you, this is
hardly the appropriate forum to air your concerns or grievances about
anything but Java's lack of closures!
I'm not sure if you are casting around for
sympathy or genuinely don't understand the distinction between what
you do and who you are.

This does not make sense.

I am trying to convince you to stop making all kinds of stupid and
off-topic posts to this newsgroup, and to take your dispute with Paul to
a more appropriate forum. Preferably one where Paul actually posts, so
you two can have it out in a fair fight. Preferably that would be your
email inboxes and not any newsgroup at all.

Certainly you should leave me out of it. I have no wish to be involved
in a dispute between two other people. Why do you insist on dragging me
into your dispute with him, and on calling me names while you're at it?
If that were true you wouldn't engage in prolonged heated arguments
with so many people in this newsgroup.

That's because I DO give a shit that you're making public false
accusations about me, and I DO give a shit that you're messing up what
had been a nice clean newsgroup two months ago!
Haven't you discovered

We are discussing your pustulent and pernicious, persistent posting of
off-topic pointlessness. Please don't try to change the subject. Evasion
will get you nowhere.
Yet you claim to have submitted a complaint to Google and various
ISPs.

No, not yet, but I'm sorely tempted to, and I'll bet others have
submitted complaints just because of the sheer volume of crap you're
posting.
A sensible person would actually read the AUP before alleging a
breach of it.

Fine. Let's see.

You're posting through Google Groups.

A quick Google search for "google groups acceptable use policy" leads to
http://groups.google.pl/googlegroups/terms_of_service.html and (abridged
to what's relevant here, as the full list was quite long):

"You will not:
* defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the
legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others;
* post any inappropriate, defamatory, infringing, obscene, illegal
or unlawful Content;
* post messages that promote pyramid schemes, chain letters or
disruptive commercial messages or advertisements, or anything else
prohibited by the Group owner.
* restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the
Service;
* use the Service for any illegal or unauthorised purpose;"

You are, however: defaming (me), abusing (this newsgroup), harassing
(me), and stalking (Paul), threatening (me), violating the legal rights
of privacy and publicity (in claiming that I'm Paul; you're clearly
*trying* to violate Paul's rights of privacy and publicity, if perhaps
not *succeeding*), posting inappropriate and defamatory content, posting
messages prohibited by the Group owner (since the newsgroup charter says
your non-Java trash-talking is off-topic here), inhibiting other users
from using and enjoying the Service (every other Google Groups user that
subscribes to cljp and that is forced to put up with your spew because
Google Groups lacks killfiles), and, possibly, using the Service for an
illegal purpose (defamation, in violation of tort law).

Five reasons for Google to get rid of you.

Let's turn to your ISP next. Apparently British Telecom.

And we have, from
http://www2.bt.com/static/i/btretail/panretail/acceptableuse/usenet.html:

"While connected to the Internet via BT you must comply with the law.

You must not make statements that are defamatory to or misrepresent
others. Defamatory postings may include but are not limited to postings
which harm the personal or business reputation of another or exposes him
to hatred, contempt or ridicule, or lowers him in the estimation of his
community, or deters other people from associating or dealing with him.

You must not post the same message repeatedly in one or more newsgroups.

You must not blatantly disregard the intended subject matter in a
newsgroup by making off topic postings with apparent malicious intent or
in large volumes.

You must not maliciously try to incite other newsgroup users to deviate
from the stated topic of the group. Attempts to anger others and to draw
them into off topic debates are known as “trolling”.

You must not breach the charter of the newsgroup that you are in."

Let's see: you're not complying with the law (you're defaming people,
which is a tort -- and not just one, but at least *two* people, as near
as I can tell); you are making defamatory remarks that misrepresent
others, attempting to harm the personal or business reputation of me,
attempting to expose me to hatred, contempt, or ridicule, attempting to
lower me in the estimation of Java programmers, and attempting to deter
other people from associating or dealing with me, and apparently much
the same with respect to your arch-nemesis Paul, too.

Furthermore, you're posting the same message repeatedly, in the loose
sense of posts with basically identical semantic content from one to the
next, namely "Ben is a bad person and Paul is also a bad person".

And it's quite clear that you are blatantly disregarding this
newsgroup's charter and its intended subject matter, with malicious
intent, and maliciously trying to incite other newsgroup users to
deviate from said subject matter.

I'd say, foo bar baz qux, that you are indeed violating your provider's
terms of service AND google's.

You know? I think I *will* be making some complaints now.

Goodbye, foo bar baz qux.

Ben Phillips

Peter said:
Peter said:
On Sun, 12 Oct 2008 10:08:02 -0700, Ben Phillips

[repeating himself senselessly]

Do not mischaracterize my writing.

I haven't.

You have.
No, it doesn't.

Yes, it does. That's pretty much the textbook definition of libel.
(Defamation, in general, being negative and false statements whether
written or spoken.)
I could write all sorts of negative and false statements
about you without being defamatory in the legal sense.

That's a lie.
There are a number of other criteria that need to be met for negative,
false speech to be considered "defamation", not the least of which is
that you need to have some "fame" in the first place.

Not true. Anyone can be defamed.
you are having trouble with this concept.

There is no need to be rude and insulting.

This is comp.lang.java.programmer, not alt.flame
That of course presumes that false statements have been made in the
first place, which is hardly a foregone conclusion.

It certainly is. You have lied here repeatedly about me, and had just
done so again, implicitly, in the previous little bit of your post.
Yet in the interests of justice, I MUST be able to ensure that
when the subject is me, I get to have the last word.

[...] it really ought to be obvious to anyone over the age of three
who has at least a normal IQ and who is of sound mind.

I don't doubt that you believe that. But just because you believe
something doesn't make it true.

Oh, but it IS true, and you are completely out of line posting all of
this nonsense to a newsgroup that's supposed to be about Java anyway!