Table borders and frames-in-one-file ...

Toby Inkster

Alan said:
1. The main table does not go right to the side of the browser which
means that there is always a strange border around the page which
prevents me using mixed colors.

You should be able to control that border using CSS:
body { padding: 0; margin: 0 }
2. I would like to selectively display the borders to cells (eg just the
lower border) but also find that I cannot do this.

Use CSS instead:
td { border-left: 2px dotted green; border-bottom: 5px solid red }
My question here is: Is it possible to define frames (both frameholder
and content) in one file? I experimented with the syntax

No, you can't do that, but you can achieve a similar effect with CSS
(overflow property).

brucie

in post: <
Alan Searle said:
1. The main table does not go right to the side of the browser which
means that there is always a strange border around the page
body{border:0;padding:0}

2. I would like to selectively display the borders to cells (eg just the
lower border) but also find that I cannot do this.

..bottom-border-on-a-td{border-bottom:1px dotted lime;}

I decided to look at frames. Frames would work perfectly for my
needs

no they wouldn't

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html
http://www.karlcore.com/articles/article.php?id=2
http://david.us-lot.org/www/frames/
Any tips on these points would really help me out.

learn a bit of css

css tutorials and other fun 'n giggly css stuff:
http://www.css.nu/
http://www.mako4css.com/
http://www.richinstyle.com/
http://www.blazonry.com/css/
http://www.w3schools.com/css/
http://www.websitetips.com/css/
http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/css/
http://www.pageresource.com/dhtml/indexcss.htm
http://www.webpageworkshop.co.uk/main/css_index
http://old.climbtothestars.org/coding/cssbasic/
http://www.htmlcenter.com/tutorials/index.cfm/css/
http://www.freewebmastertips.com/php/content.php3?aid=48
http://www.canit.se/~griffon/web/writing_stylesheets.html
http://www.utoronto.ca/ian/books/xhtml2/exerpt/css-4a.html
http://www.greytower.net/en/archive/articles/tsutsumi.html
http://www.intranetjournal.com/articles/200101/csstutorial1a.html
http://webmonkey.com/authoring/stylesheets/tutorials/tutorial1.html

layout examples:
http://www.glish.com/css/
http://www.csszengarden.com/
http://www.bookofstyles.org/
http://tantek.com/CSS/Examples/
http://www.saila.com/usage/layouts/
http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/
http://www.benmeadowcroft.com/webdev/
http://nemesis1.f2o.org/templates.php
http://www.xs4all.nl/~apple77/columns/
http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/
http://www.htmler.org/tutorials/3/1.html
http://css.nu/articles/floating-boxes.html
http://webhost.bridgew.edu/etribou/layouts/
http://www.roguelibrarian.com/lj/index.html
http://css-discuss.incutio.com/?page=CssLayouts
http://ecoculture.com/styleguide/r/rollovers.html
http://thenoodleincident.com/tutorials/box_lesson/index.html
http://www.webreference.com/authoring/style/sheets/layout/advanced/

some sites using css layouts:
http://www.inc.com/
http://www.wired.com/
http://www.opera.com/
http://www.kitty5.com/
http://www.cinnamon.nl/
http://msn.espn.go.com/
http://www.virtuelvis.com/
http://www.emptybottle.org/
http://www.fastcompany.com/
http://www.littleyellowdifferent.com/
http://www.pga.com/pgachampionship/2004/

rounded corners:
http://www.albin.net/CSS/roundedCorners/
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/customcorners/
http://www.guyfisher.com/builder/workshop/css/corners/

slants: http://www.infimum.dk/HTML/slantinfo.html
lists: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/taminglists/
pure css menus: http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html
Fast rollovers: http://www.pixy.cz/blogg/clanky/cssnopreloadrollovers/

centering thingys
http://dorward.me.uk/www/centre/
http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/center.html
http://www.student.oulu.fi/~laurirai/www/css/middle/
http://hicksdesign.co.uk/articles/css/vertical_centering_with_css/

master compatibility charts:
http://centricle.com/ref/css/filters/
http://www.blooberry.com/indexdot/css/index.html
http://macedition.com/cb/resources/abridgedcsssupport.html
old:
http://www.immix.net/html/CSSGuide.htm
http://devedge.netscape.com/library/xref/2003/css-support/

hiding CSS from crappy browsers:
http://diveintomark.org/safari/csshacks/
http://www.ericmeyeroncss.com/bonus/trick-hide.html
http://www.w3development.de/css/hide_css_from_browsers/

css checkers:
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
http://www.htmlhelp.com/tools/csscheck/
http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/checkers

cascading style sheets, level 2 specification
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/
cascading style sheets, level 2 revision 1 Candidate Recommendation
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/

Webcastmaker

To structure my page(s) I
am using tables which works fine apart from two problems ...

So what you are really saying is that is "doesn't" work fine...
1. The main table does not go right to the side of the browser which
means that there is always a strange border around the page which
prevents me using mixed colors.

Use CSS to deal with it. border:0;padding:0
2. I would like to selectively display the borders to cells (eg just the
lower border) but also find that I cannot do this.

Same thing, use CSS sounds like you need to run to www.w3schools.com
and whip through their CSS tutorial.
My question here is: Is it possible to define frames (both frameholder
and content) in one file? I experimented with the syntax
Any tips on these points would really help me out.

Not knowing the objectives and content, it is probably wise not to
use frames anyway.

Alan Searle

I am using php to generate my html and so would like to keep everything
in one output file (ie: php writes the html). To structure my page(s) I
am using tables which works fine apart from two problems ...

1. The main table does not go right to the side of the browser which
means that there is always a strange border around the page which
prevents me using mixed colors. I have tried a whole range of commands
(eg WIDTH BORDER CELLPADDING CELLSPACING ... in the table definition)
and have tried using editors (netscape composer and openoffice) to get
this to work (and to find the syntax) but nothing seems to do it. Is
this just the 'nature' of html tables? or is this really possible?

2. I would like to selectively display the borders to cells (eg just the
lower border) but also find that I cannot do this. I found I could
selectively display the lower border to a particular table but this does
not help me as I cannot separate the cells into individual tables as
this messes up my layout. Is this just the nature of tables/cells? Or
can it be done?

Indeed, because I was having problems with tables, I decided to look at
frames. Frames would work perfectly for my needs but this would involve
generating several files (ie a frameholder and then one file for each
frame in the frameholder) and this would complicated my generation
process significantly.

My question here is: Is it possible to define frames (both frameholder
and content) in one file? I experimented with the syntax

Any tips on these points would really help me out.

Regards,
Alan Searle.