table in table -> 100% height does not work

Paul Schmidinger

Hello,

I have a complex table (which I have simplified for this post to allow
better focus on the problem ). In one cell, I want to show 2 images. One at
the top of the cell, one at the bottom. I do not know the height of the
cell - the height depends on the amount of content in the other cells in the
same row and on the width of the beowser-window. What I tried is creating
another table in the cell, with 2 rows (with 1 cell each), aligning the
images at the top and bottom. But the browser (IE 6) ignores the
height="100%" -- which is strange, for usually it accepts this attribute.

Here is the simplified example:
http://www.eigelb.at/tables.html

If I specify the height of the table absolute (in Pixels) and without "%",
it works fine. But I can not do that for I do not know the height of the
cell and therefore the height of the table.

Any help would be appreciated -- I don't care if there is a subtable in the
cell or not, I just want to align 2 images in a cell - one on top, one at
bottom, no matter what height the cell has. I would to prefer not using
JavaScript (e. g. reading the height of the cell, then setting the height of
the table using JavaScript).

Thanks,
Paul Schmidinger

-- www.eigelb.at

Claus Madsen

Paul said:
Any help would be appreciated -- I don't care if there is a subtable
in the cell or not, I just want to align 2 images in a cell - one on
top, one at bottom, no matter what height the cell has. I would to
prefer not using JavaScript (e. g. reading the height of the cell,
then setting the height of the table using JavaScript).

Maybe this will do the trick:

http://clausmadsen.dk/uk/test/

Paul Schmidinger

Any help would be appreciated -- I don't care if there is a subtable
Maybe this will do the trick:

http://clausmadsen.dk/uk/test/

It does, thank you! I experimented with rowspan and colspan before, but I
used too many of them so the browser would not use my width- and
height-attributes. But using only some simple rowspans should do the trick!

Paul Schmidinger
-- www.eigelb.at