Denis McMahon

the bottom table on this page looks ok in IE but not firefox:

http://stellarschoolservices.org/TherapistsScheduler.aspx

how come?

The page seems to be fundamentally broken at the HTML level:

1) The xml declaration should be the first thing in the file, no
preceding white space, although the validator <http://validator.w3.org/
unicorn> is perhaps over-picky in this aspect.

2) The link element for css should be inside the head element.

3) I suspect that in xhtml, script elements are also only permitted
inside the head element.

I didn't go further than that - fix your markup before you start trying
to solve rendering issues.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

mcnewsxp

The page seems to be fundamentally broken at the HTML level:

1) The xml declaration should be the first thing in the file, no
preceding white space, although the validator <http://validator.w3.org/
unicorn> is perhaps over-picky in this aspect.

2) The link element for css should be inside the head element.

3) I suspect that in xhtml, script elements are also only permitted
inside the head element.

I didn't go further than that - fix your markup before you start trying
to solve rendering issues.

Rgds

Denis McMahon

i moved the style inside the head. first line is blank due to dotnet code behind claiming first line.

mcnewsxp

In both Firefox 13.0.1 and IE 9, I see but one table, and the
code has but one <table> tag.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

scroll on down past the code behind generated script and you'll see the 2nd one.

mcnewsxp

What the **** are you talking about?

--
Tim

mcnewsxp

In both Firefox 13.0.1 and IE 9, I see but one table, and the
code has but one <table> tag.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

search for <td class="tdBod" and you'll find it.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

mcnewsxp said:
search for <td class="tdBod" and you'll find it.

I searched your page above for <td class="tdBod" and it does not exist.

I also searched for <table and there is only one of them. Perhaps we
citizens are not seeing the same page you are seeing.

In one of your other responses, you said "scroll on down past the code
behind generated script and you'll see the 2nd one." We see HTML code.
There is no apparent script generating a second table. Your JavaScript
does not contain the string class="tdBod" either.

Gene Wirchenko

scroll on down past the code behind generated script and you'll see the 2nd one.

I have. The second table is NOT there with either browser. I
have just tried again.

Consider this possibility:

You saved the the two-table version of the file to the wrong
location. You are using that same wrong name in IE, but the correct
name in Firefox. When we use the URL, we get the correct location
(which has an old version with but one table).

There is a complication in that we are not logged in so it may be
that you are seeing the correct page whereas we, not having the
credentials, can not. I get redirected to a login page.

Take a look at exactly what page your IE is accessing and compare
that with what Firefox is accessing. Be sure to look at it carefully.
It might be just a character different.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

Jukka K. Korpela

The page seems to be fundamentally broken at the HTML level:

Not quite. It passes HTML validation, which does not guarantee anything,
but it's at least formally correct to the extent that an XML validator
can check. The W3C Markup Validator issues the warning "No Character
encoding declared at document level"; the warning is a useful hint, but
not relevant here, as we are looking at the page as transmitted via HTTP
with headers that specify the encoding.

The real problem appears to be that in the browsing situation of the OP,
the page content is something completely different from what we see.

But regarding the issues you raise:
1) The xml declaration should be the first thing in the file, no
preceding white space, although the validator <http://validator.w3.org/
unicorn> is perhaps over-picky in this aspect.

It does not give any error message or warning about this issue. The XML
specification says that a document SHOULD begin with an XML declaration.
So it is SHOULD, not SHALL, i.e. not a matter of conformance. Besides,
it is common on web pages to omit the declaration, because it puts some
old versions of IE to Quirks Mode.
2) The link element for css should be inside the head element.

I don't see a link element anywhere on the page. Perhaps we, too, are
looking at different versions? Or do you mean that the style element
should be replaced by a link referring to an external style sheet? That
would be a matter of personal preference.
3) I suspect that in xhtml, script elements are also only permitted
inside the head element.

As you can see e.g. by using Unicorn, which you mentioned, that is not
true. And in this case, the code would fail if moved to the head
element. (It is of course *possible* to modify the script so that it can
placed there. But this is not relevant at all here.)

Denis McMahon

[...]

I was seeing the position of the <?xml ....> flagged in the validator. I
may have misunderstood the message. Perhaps the issue was that it should
have been after the doctype?
I don't see a link element anywhere on the page. Perhaps we, too, are
looking at different versions? Or do you mean that the style element
should be replaced by a link referring to an external style sheet? That
would be a matter of personal preference.

There was a link to a stylesheet which the validator was rejecting when I
viewed it. I note that the Op seems to have responded to my comments a
few hours before you, perhaps he changed things?
As you can see e.g. by using Unicorn, which you mentioned, that is not
true. And in this case, the code would fail if moved to the head
element. (It is of course *possible* to modify the script so that it can
placed there. But this is not relevant at all here.)

And yet as far as I can tell from the dtd, script should be contained
inside the head for xhtml 1.0?

Rgds

Denis McMahon

Jukka K. Korpela

And yet as far as I can tell from the dtd, script should be contained
inside the head for xhtml 1.0?

There is no change from HTML 4.01 in XHTML 1.0 in this respect. If you
check the content model for "body", you will find "%Flow" there; and
"%Flow" is defined by
<!ENTITY % Flow "(#PCDATA | %block; | form | %inline; | %misc;)*">
and we have
<!ENTITY % misc "noscript | %misc.inline;">
and finally
<!ENTITY % misc.inline "ins | del | script">

mcnewsxp

I searched your page above for <td class="tdBod" and it does not exist.

I also searched for <table and there is only one of them. Perhaps we
citizens are not seeing the same page you are seeing.

In one of your other responses, you said "scroll on down past the code
behind generated script and you'll see the 2nd one." We see HTML code.
There is no apparent script generating a second table. Your JavaScript
does not contain the string class="tdBod" either.

you have to login. i provided a test UID and PW in an earlier post.

mcnewsxp

I have. The second table is NOT there with either browser. I
have just tried again.

Consider this possibility:

You saved the the two-table version of the file to the wrong
location. You are using that same wrong name in IE, but the correct
name in Firefox. When we use the URL, we get the correct location
(which has an old version with but one table).

There is a complication in that we are not logged in so it may be
that you are seeing the correct page whereas we, not having the
credentials, can not. I get redirected to a login page.

Take a look at exactly what page your IE is accessing and compare
that with what Firefox is accessing. Be sure to look at it carefully.
It might be just a character different.

Sincerely,

Gene Wirchenko

logon w test test

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

mcnewsxp said:
you have to login. i provided a test UID and PW in an earlier post.

Nice of you to remember that, here on day two.

Try removing the extraneous semicolons at the end of your "tdBod" tags.

mcnewsxp

Nice of you to remember that, here on day two.

Try removing the extraneous semicolons at the end of your "tdBod" tags.

i posted the UID and PW yesterday right after the first commenter said he got the logon page.
removing ; did nothing to help.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

mcnewsxp said:
i posted the UID and PW yesterday right after the first commenter said
he got the logon page. removing ; did nothing to help.

You wrote nothing more than: "test test" How would anyone know that was
a username and a password as you did not describe what the words meant? It
looked to me as if you were testing Google Groups posting...

Please snip signatures when you reply.