TableAdapter .NET 2.0 Limitations/Gotcha's ??

Yin99

Do the TableAdapters have any limitations, gotcha's, or anything that
may bite ya in the rear down the road?

I'm looking for lessons learned and/or past experience. I'm starting
a new application and learning towards using the .NET 2.0 Strongly
Typed Dataset, TableAdapter, & partial classes for my DAL.

(For example, I was told performance was horrible, and from past
experience a company totally abandoned strongly typed datasets.
However, on further research it appears this was an issue with .NET
1.x but has been fixed in 2.0.)

-Yin

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

The TableAdapters will cement you into a .NET 2.0 way of looking at things.
That is the major gotcha I can think of. You can avoid some of this by
abstracting the data access a bit. This will allow you to move to LINQ (or
something else) later without a complete rewrite.

Short answer: Don't embed everythign in your ASP.NET application and you
should be fine here.

STDs are a great way of looking at data, especially if you are going to head
to a more SOA type implementation. As they are already XML, they are easily
serialized. They are not the best for single entities, but you can translate
to business entities rather easily and even use the DataRows as a pseudo
business entity by wrapping the row.

STDs are also great for lazy loading and the TableAdapters can help
tremendously here.

Examine the tutorials on ASP.NET 2.0 on the MSDN site. There are some good
offerings on tiered development using .NET 2.0 features. Research a bit and
you can answer your own question, based on your applications.