Taking the bull by its horns [was background]

Robert Dober

I'm more surprised that Ruby only got one vote. I thought I saw it
mentioned more than once. I guess at my age, I can't trust my memory
anymore.
:)

LOL
I do not count ruby, I assume 100%, but one slipped into the data, thx
for pointing it out.

--=20
-- Kent Beck

Alexandru E. Ungur

male 30y

bg: Pascal, x86 Assembly, Perl, Linux shell scripting, JavaScript, Delphi,
Visual Basic, Visual FoxPro, PHP, Ruby, Lua, Python, Scheme, Erlang, C.

wk: web programming (mostly Ruby, PHP), Linux sysadmin (making good use of
Ruby here as well).

Cheers,
Alex

Jesper

Male, 32 years old. Location: Malmö, Scania (sweden).

bg: 6502/6510 assembler (C64), 680x0 assembler (Amiga), C, C++
wk: sysadmin, using Perl, Ruby & PHP at work.

Morton Goldberg

Dang ... someone beat me out for "doing it the longest". Not by much,
though.

I also began programming on an IBM 650 (in 1958). Oh, the fond
memories: the glow of vacuum tubes, SOAP II [*], clearing card jams
from both ends of the reader/punch unit, the 25-millisecond latency
of drum memory :)

By 1961, I had already moved to the IBM 1620, a great improvement
over the 650. But my all-time favorite computer remains the DEC
PDP-11 (the original, not the VAX-11).

Regards, Morton

[*] an ancient assembly language -- nothing to do with XML messaging.

Robert Dober

Dang ... someone beat me out for "doing it the longest". Not by much,
though.

I also began programming on an IBM 650 (in 1958). Oh, the fond
memories: the glow of vacuum tubes, SOAP II [*], clearing card jams
from both ends of the reader/punch unit, the 25-millisecond latency
of drum memory :)

By 1961, I had already moved to the IBM 1620, a great improvement
over the 650. But my all-time favorite computer remains the DEC
PDP-11 (the original, not the VAX-11).
Playing dungeon and dragons or something like that on it, you see I
have been a very diligent student, that was in 83/84 if I am not
mistaken, great machine indeed, although I was not good enough in HW
to judge it for myself.
R.

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Michael said:
male, 40y
PhD in mathematics, working on applications of AI
languages I used by preference:
-1 Basic
0 Pascal
+1 Assembler, C
+2 Ruby, C++ (yes, I know I'm weird)
location: just south of Vienna, Austria
Hmmm ... AI but not Lisp?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky

Martin said:
Which dialect? I've gotten into Chicken lately and it's very pleasant to
use.

martin
I haven't settled on an implementation yet. Chicken is a good one, but
PLT has an excellent user interface (Dr Scheme), gambit-c has the
Erlang-like Termite for concurrent programming, Guile is ubiquitous, and
I think there is another one that's the fastest available because it has
the best compiler. At one point last year I installed all of the ones in
Gentoo's Portage repository to have a shootout, but I got nudged back
into Ruby shortly afterwards.

I think when all the smoke clears, it will be Gambit, though, because of
Termite. They're on the edge of a major release -- I think they're at
release candidate stage now.

Robert Dober

On 7/18/07 said:
Location:Slovenia, on the sunny side of the Alps.
I know that will reveal my origin, but what the heck ;)
That is *not funny*, well that's why I left;)
<snip>
R.

Robert Dober

Last r=E9sum=E9;)

Avg age: 34.3125
Avg sex: 0.00*female + 1.00*male :(

Grouped languages thus values > 100% are normal
c/c++ ... 37 142.31%
java ... 16 61.54%
lisp/scheme/CLOS ... 14 53.85%
basic ... 14 53.85%
pascal/delphi ... 13 50.00%
perl ... 10 38.46%
assembler ... 9 34.62%
python ... 9 34.62%
php ... 8 30.77%
sql ... 8 30.77%
shell ... 7 26.92%
javascript ... 6 23.08%
obj_c ... 5 19.23%
csq ... 5 19.23%
logo ... 4 15.38%
(O)Caml ... 4 15.38%
awk ... 3 11.54%
prolog ... 3 11.54%
visual_basic ... 3 11.54%
ada ... 3 11.54%
smalltalk ... 3 11.54%
vhdl ... 2 7.69%
erlang ... 2 7.69%
hypercard ... 2 7.69%
eiffel ... 2 7.69%
rexx ... 2 7.69%
haskell ... 2 7.69%
caml ... 2 7.69%
apple_script ... 2 7.69%
fortran ... 2 7.69%
forth ... 2 7.69%
and : dylan, lua, pl1, dos_batch, matlab, dcl, visual_fox_pro, turing,
sm, joy, cppi, visual_cpp, lotus_notes, modula_2, algol, R, tcl,
mortran, sh, xslt, neko, elang, clipper, pl_sql

and furthermore - hopefully you can swim -- the average Ruby ML
contributer is leaving somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean, not far off
the shore of the East Coast though -- it's a guess ;).

This was great fun, thx to all for replying, keep doing so by all
means but I do not think I will update the stats, unless we get a lady
of course ;)

Cheers
Robert

Legal Notice: I have not recorded any personal data only a list of
ages and prog languages and no association of that to any name or
other entity identifying a person.

Robert Dober

oops I guess there is no language called cppi, so that will just add
to C/C++ score :(

Martin DeMello

I think there is another one that's the fastest available because it has
the best compiler. At one point last year I installed all of the ones in

Stalin, but it's R4RS and seems to be more an academic research
project than anything that has an actual community around it. The USP
is that it does whole-program optimisation.

martin

F. Senault

Le 17 juillet à 15:26, Robert Dober a écrit :
Ok I'll put my cards on the table

So...

Male, 32.

Background : Started with BASIC on a TRS-80 when I was 5, then a long
string of languages, including BASIC variants, Pacal variants,
Clipper, C, (Visual) C++, Visual Basic, Delphi, shells, javascript,
perl, and a passing interest in anything I can get my hands on.

Work : Systems / network administrator (in a multi-platform environment,
mostly BSD/Linux/Windows), software architect and programmer, VB6
first and foremost (ew), then Perl, Ruby, Ruby on Rails and whatever
is at hand for the task.

Hobbies : My small part of the internet, running news servers (hi
list !), and (right now) trying to make smallish games in Ruby and
Ruby on Rails... (And stuff outside computers, of course.)

Location : Liège, Belgium ; will travel for food and alcohol... }:>

Fred
Still 100% males. :|

darren kirby

quoth the Robert Dober:
Personally I am surprised to be the only having used Ada and I am even
more surprised that Lua missed out at all (I was hoping to see Io and
Self too).
I am sure there is some folks having experience with these :)

Well, I for one taught myself Lua. Couple things about it: 1. It is very fast.
In some trivial tests I have done it runs with roughly 50% the speed of C,
which means it edges out Perl as fastest "interpreted" language in my books.
And 2. It uses 'silly' 1 based arrays (tables). See the other thread about
that ;)

I have also written a couple of trivial programs in Io. See [0] for one. It
seems quite an interesting language, but I cannot get past the
poor/incomplete documentation to write anything more complex...

Keep in mind I am strictly a hobbiest, and have not programmed in _any_
language professionally.

For the record:

m 30 yo
Know well: (ba)sh, PHP, Perl, Python, Ruby, Scheme, Lua
Know enough to get by: C/C++, Java, MIPS asm
Have played with: Io, Ada, Haskell, Erlang, OCaml
Work: Currently unemployed
Location: Currently incarcerated in Edmonton Alberta

No, I'm not in jail, But I am here against my will ;)
Cheers
Robert

-d

[0] http://badcomputer.org/unix/code/eratos/io1.bot

John W. Kennedy

Morton said:
Dang ... someone beat me out for "doing it the longest". Not by much,
though.

I also began programming on an IBM 650 (in 1958). Oh, the fond memories:
the glow of vacuum tubes, SOAP II [*], clearing card jams from both ends
of the reader/punch unit, the 25-millisecond latency of drum memory :)

By 1961, I had already moved to the IBM 1620, a great improvement over
the 650. But my all-time favorite computer remains the DEC PDP-11 (the
original, not the VAX-11).

Regards, Morton

[*] an ancient assembly language -- nothing to do with XML messaging.

You missed the fun part -- it was an /optimizing/ assembler.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The bright critics assembled in this volume will doubtless show, in

Travis D Warlick Jr

James Edward Gray II

Le 17 juillet =E0 15:26, Robert Dober a =E9crit :

So...

Male, 32.

Background : Started with BASIC on a TRS-80 when I was 5, then a long
string of languages, including BASIC variants, Pacal variants,
Clipper, C, (Visual) C++, Visual Basic, Delphi, shells, javascript,
perl, and a passing interest in anything I can get my hands on.

Work : Systems / network administrator (in a multi-platform =20
environment,
mostly BSD/Linux/Windows), software architect and programmer, VB6
first and foremost (ew), then Perl, Ruby, Ruby on Rails and whatever
is at hand for the task.

Hobbies : My small part of the internet, running news servers (hi
list !), and (right now) trying to make smallish games in Ruby and
Ruby on Rails... (And stuff outside computers, of course.)

Location : Li=E8ge, Belgium ; will travel for food and alcohol... }:>

Wow Fred, you and I have a lot in common. I manage the Ruby Gateway, =20=

as you know from providing us an account and putting up with my =20
bothersome emails, and I'm a big game nut.

I'm always messing with some Ruby game, though most of them never =20
reach the sharing point. Any pointer to your game efforts?

----------

Male, 31

Languages: BASIC (I read a manual that came with my ColecoVision =20
Adam), Pascal (first on my TI-85 and later in school), C and C++, =20
Java, Perl, Ruby, Lisp, and Lua.

Work: Contract Ruby and Rails programming.

Hobbies: More Ruby. I'm hopeless.

Location: Edmond, Oklahoma, U.S.A.

James Edward Gray II

Lloyd Linklater

Robert said:
PS: Robert, IMHO Pascal is a great language for learning to program
because it omits the dimension of OO and allows to focus on proper
structuring. Also, it's far more readable than C.

Actually, Delphi came out 12 years ago and Pascal was object oriented
before that.

Just keeping the record straight.

Anthony Eden

male 30y

bg: BASIC on VMS, Perl, Java, SQL, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Python, Ruby, Erlang
wk: not so mild-mannered project manager during the day, data
warehouse superhero by night
location: Melbourne, FL