Taking the bull by its horns [was background]

Robert Dober

Ok I'll put my cards on the table
male 45y
bg: Pascal (who's laughing?) Ada83, perl, python [ I only chose the
languages that influenced me, so I left C, bash and awk away ;)]
wk: Sys and netadmin Arrggg
location: Paris/France

Hope to see lots of others

Cheers
Robert

Todd Burch

Male 44years
Well known Languages: IBM Mainframe Assembler, REXX, Ruby
OK known Languages: C/C++, Java, Javascript
Work: Mainframe DataBase (DB2) Performance Monitor Developer
Location: Katy, Texas, USA.

Todd

Jano Svitok

male 28y
bg: basic, pascal, c, java, python, c++ (symbian), 2 yrs ruby fulltime
(automated testing of c++ network app), now c++ win32
wk: C++ programmer, mobile-related
location: Bratislava/Slovakia

Jano

Robert Klemme

m40y, located in Germany

Studies in CS using Pascal at the time, before that juvenile Z80
hackery, after university a bit of C++ coding and then Java. I also
like bash / sh programming and use Ruby for small day to day data
mining / manipulating tasks for which I used Perl once (must be ages
ago). Currently diving into J2EE. Ah, and of course lots of SQL
(mainly Oracle and SQL Server).

robert

PS: Robert, IMHO Pascal is a great language for learning to program
because it omits the dimension of OO and allows to focus on proper
structuring. Also, it's far more readable than C.

SonOfLilit

m18y, Technion, Haifa.

Teenage hackery in BASIC, then a flurry of languages, settling
eventually on C, then Ruby.
work: C++, C and .NET internals doing software DRM for a security
software company, then C# doing data analysis for a web startup
(ClickTale... Every webmaster should have a look at them, they have a
great product and I work for them just because of how cool the product
and the people are).

Aur

Ari Brown

Is anyone here in the Dartmouth/ Lake Sunapee area of New Hampshire?
Yeah, a little sketchy and dodgy, but I'm wondering if there are any
other Ruby programmers outside of Portsmouth, NH.

Checking round
~ Ari
English is like a pseudo-random number generator - there are a
bajillion rules to it, but nobody cares.

Michael Fellinger

male 22y
bg: dabbling in QBASIC, then a tiny bit of delphi when i was around
8-10 and finally PHP, discovered my love for ruby and programming
years later, now learning everything that comes along (smalltalk,
lisp/scheme, dylan, asm, bash, neko, haskell), lucky to have skipped
C/C++/Java and all the others :)
wk: IT-guy for everything
location: Tokyo/Japan

^ manveru

Todd Benson

m33y
bg: (programming, in choronological order) basic, fortran, pascal, c,
mathematica, c++, java, sql, php; none of which I'm particularly good
at (well, I'm ok in sql)
wk: engineering, network admin, some web development, mostly in the
data storage industry (robotic tape libraries)

Todd

John Joyce

male 32y
background: Art, dabbling in C, Objective-C, designing web pages in
xhtml & CSS, dabbled w/PHP but found Ruby to be very lovely and
sensible, and more coherent than PHP. Learning Rails now.
work: none at the moment, but open to offers
location: Austin, Texas; previous 5 years in Tokyo, Japan

John Joyce

Ryan Davis

Ok I'll put my cards on the table
male 45y
bg: Pascal (who's laughing?) Ada83, perl, python [ I only chose the
languages that influenced me, so I left C, bash and awk away ;)]
wk: Sys and netadmin Arrggg
location: Paris/France

male 34 seattle wa

bg (chrono): logo, basic, hypercard, forth, pascal, c, object pascal,
modula-2, smalltalk (finally fell in love with a language), sh/csh, c+
+, applescript, prolog, bash, perl, java, python, ruby, objective-c,
lisp/scheme, and some others I've since forgotten about scattered
throughout.

wk: consultant, mostly ruby/rails

Gregory Brown

Ok I'll put my cards on the table
male 45y
bg: Pascal (who's laughing?) Ada83, perl, python [ I only chose the
languages that influenced me, so I left C, bash and awk away ;)]
wk: Sys and netadmin Arrggg
location: Paris/France

male 21y

bg: BASIC on commodore plus4 when I was 6-8yrs old, QBASIC 10-12yrs old,
later Python,Perl,Java,C,C++,Ruby,C# in order (with dabblings in
others such as Haskell)

wk: freelance developer, mostly ruport/camping/rails in order.
freelance tech writing, too.

location: currently nomadic between (Naugatuck|New Haven), CT and NYC
soon semi-permanent residence in New Haven! (By September)

hemant

m33y
bg: atari basic, qbasic, pascal, turing, perl, c, c++, sql, java, xslt
(the light dawns: my first functional language), lisp, python, ruby
wk: web/database programming
location: music city, usa

- donald

m23y
bg: C,C++,Python,pl/sql, Ruby, dabbling in erlang, some C# too
wk: web/network programming
location: Chennai/India

- gnufied

Morton Goldberg

Hope to see lots of others

male, 70, retired programmer (after 46 years of working at it)
location: Ann Arbor, MI, USA
background: aerospace applications, communication systems, GUI design
and implementation
languages: (ranked by preference)
-1 Basic, C++, AppleScript
0 FORTRAN, PL/I, C, Forth, Java, Object Pascal
+1 Objective C, Smalltalk/V, Common Lisp/CLOS
+2 Logo, Eiffel, Scheme, Ruby

Also lots of assembler, especially early on. And a fair amount of
work with Mathematica (+2) but I'm not sure it should be counted as a
programming language (although it certainly contains one).

Regards, Morton

Stefan Rusterholz

25m, swiss
(Chrono) HyperTalk/-Card (loved that one, but I was about 6 or 7 back
then), C++, C, Perl, PHP, SQL, VB, Eiffel, Prolog, Ruby (my second
love), Java
Freelancer

Regards
Stefan

Lionel Bouton

m31y, located in France

Well-known Languages:
Ruby, Java, C, Perl, SQL, bash -:)

Fluent enough to code without opening reference books at each line:
C++, PHP, Javascript

Used but forgot since:
Prolog, Camel, Common Lisp, Pascal, Basic (spent times wroting programs
in Basic on paper when I was a kid because my family couldn't afford a
computer, never used it since then...)

Web Frameworks: past Enhydra, now Rails (for more than 2 years and ~18
month professionnaly)

Work:
Previously software architect with hands in the code most of the time
and when I wasn't hidden well enough 'the guy you go ask if you have a
technical question',
Now freelance: sometimes purely consultant, sometimes project manager on
whatever is using INET sockets :) (can be related to SMTP, HTTP, complex
network architectures, embedded OS on networking equipments...) and
doing specific web developments (with Rails).

Lionel Bouton.

Lionel Bouton

Lionel Bouton wrote the following on 17.07.2007 23:57 :
m31y, located in France

Well-known Languages:
Ruby, Java, C, Perl, SQL, bash -:)

Fluent enough to code without opening reference books at each line:
C++, PHP, Javascript

Used but forgot since:
Prolog, Camel,

whoops, Caml. I really forgot this one :)

John Carter

male 47y
bg: fortran,mortran,algol,basic,pascal,dcl,c,c++,lisp,scheme,assembler,perl,awk,sh,R,joy,sql,...
(Yes, I do collect languages, and yes, Ruby is the best I have seen so far...)
wk: Embedded systems - build systems etc.
location: Christchurch New Zealand.

John Carter Phone : (64)(3) 358 6639
Tait Electronics Fax : (64)(3) 359 4632
PO Box 1645 Christchurch Email : (e-mail address removed)
New Zealand