~Targeting <div>

Charlie

I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I am trying
to get away from tables and (shudder) frames for layout. I have managed to
put together a page with three divs (one on top - banner, and below that a
left and a right). The left div is basically for navigation with the right
div being for the content. Now, for my problem. I want to import information
from an affiliate site into the right div when someone clicks the link in
the right div. With frames, I'd just target the right frame. Is there a way
to do this using a div? And if so, can someone point me to a good tutorial?

Thanks,
Charlie

altamir

Charlie said:
I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I am
trying
to get away from tables and (shudder) frames for layout. I have
managed to put together a page with three divs (one on top - banner,
and below that a left and a right). The left div is basically for
navigation with the right div being for the content. Now, for my
problem. I want to import information from an affiliate site into the
right div when someone clicks the link in the right div. With frames,
I'd just target the right frame. Is there a way to do this using a
div? And if so, can someone point me to a good tutorial?

server-side include
php example:

index.php
---------
<?php include "header.php"; ?>
<h1>title</h1>
<?php include "footer.php"; ?>

header.php
----------
<!DOCTYPE ...>
<head ...>
</head>

footer.php

Leif K-Brooks

Charlie said:
I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. I am trying
to get away from tables and (shudder) frames for layout. I have managed to
put together a page with three divs (one on top - banner, and below that a
left and a right). The left div is basically for navigation with the right
div being for the content. Now, for my problem. I want to import information
from an affiliate site into the right div when someone clicks the link in
the right div. With frames, I'd just target the right frame. Is there a way
to do this using a div? And if so, can someone point me to a good tutorial?

No, frames are evil because you can do things like that. Stop trying.

chris

Leif K-Brooks said:
tutorial?

No, frames are evil because you can do things like that. Stop trying.

frames are only evil if you dont know how to use them.

Richard

chris wrote:

frames are only evil if you dont know how to use them.

Frames are not to be mentioned in this group, period.
Even though the group name is alt.html and frames are a legitimate part of
html.
It's just that the wannbe groupees that consider themselves the rulers, say
they are evil.

David Dorward

chris said:
frames are only evil if you dont know how to use them.

While it is possible to work around the problems of frames, its bandwidth
inefficient and rather a lot of work - its almost never worth bothering
with.

Steve R.

David Dorward wrote in message ...
While it is possible to work around the problems of frames,
it's bandwidth inefficient and rather a lot of work.

Yet another piece of misinformation.

Bandwidth can actually be reduced as a new header and/or menu don't have to
be reloaded each time a new page is selected, when you use frames.

David Dorward

Steve said:
David Dorward wrote in message ...

Yet another piece of misinformation.

Yet another example of Steve R fighting for obsolete, inefficient, ugly,
badly designed, badly implmeneted technology using arguments which are flat
out wrong.
Bandwidth can actually be reduced as a new header and/or menu don't have
to be reloaded each time a new page is selected, when you use frames.

Did I say "use frames"? No, I said "work around the problems of frames".

Once you factor in the _extra_ bandwith caused by needing many <frameset>
documents, all equiped with <noframes> content containing the text of the
pages loaded into them - you end up using more then double the bandwidth
otherwise needed for the HTML.

And just in case it isn't clear - I said _the_HTML_ - obviously the
bandwidth needed for images, scripts, css and other external content that
can be cached is not doubled.

Steve R.

David Dorward wrote in message ...
Yet another example of Steve R fighting for obsolete, inefficient, ugly,
badly designed, badly implemeneted technology using arguments which
are flat out wrong.

In *your* opinion.

Nice framed websites work well.

Nice non-framed websites also work well, BUT there are a lot of examples of
both types that are appalling.
Once you factor in the _extra_ bandwith caused by needing many <frameset>
documents, all equipped with <noframes> content containing the text of
the pages loaded into them - you end up using more then double the
bandwidth otherwise needed for the HTML.

Again misinformation. The frameset HTML loading time is negligible.

David Dorward

Steve said:
In your opinion.

and the opinion of the vast majority of people who are considered experts.
Again misinformation. The frameset HTML loading time is negligible.

Which bit of "many" did you miss?
Which bit of "all equipped with <noframes> content containing the text of
the pages loaded into them" did you miss?