Technical DOCTYPE question for technophiles

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
I would have no problem with saying that it is not a validator even if it
did that. The point is that it reports as _errors_ things that are not
reportable markup errors. If it reported them as warnings, we might say
that it is a validator with some extra features (as the W3C and WDG
validators actually are).

I did think of that, and had the answer to my question been yes, I was
going to mention it. Since the answer was no, the point is moot - it
shouldn't be called a validator anyway.

I downloaded it and played with it quickly yesterday, and I found it
interesting that there is a "standards compliant check" mode - since it
doesn't check the HTML against the DTD[1], I wonder what "standards" it
is checking against.

[1] Yes, I know that the W3C documents are only recommendations, not
standards.

Albert Wiersch

Toby Inkster said:
http://online.htmlvalidator.com/php/onlinevallite.php says:

"The character reference "ト" is not recognized. Did you misspell
it? Did you forget to end the reference with a semicolon?"

Ummm... of course I didn't miss the semicolon -- the semicolon is right
there in the bit you quoted!

Ditto: "The character reference "ビ" is not recognized. Did you
misspell it? Did you forget to end the reference with a semicolon?"

Ditto: "The character reference "–" is not recognized. Did you
misspell it? Did you forget to end the reference with a semicolon?"

All them be proper character references.

Hi Toby,

Thank you. I had a configuration option for the online validator set to not
allow hexadecimal character references. I have now fixed this and have
improved the error message in case this situation should happen again. It
will now say:
The character reference "ト" is not recognized. If you want to use
hexadecimal references, then be sure to enable this option in the Validator
Engine Options.

Albert

Toby Inkster

Albert said:
The character reference "ト" is not recognized. If you want to use
hexadecimal references, then be sure to enable this option in the Validator
Engine Options.

Ah -- so the error is in the "validator" and not on the page.

Albert Wiersch

Toby Inkster said:
Ah -- so the error is in the "validator" and not on the page.

No, it was a configuration option that wasn't set the way it should have
been for the online validator.

Richard Rundle

Albert Wiersch said:
No, it was a configuration option that wasn't set the way it should have
been for the online validator.

So, exactly as Toby says then.

Andy Dingley

An HTML validator is simply a program that checks HTML documents
for problems.

Thankyou for making it so explicitly clear why I should _never_ buy one
of your products.

Neal

David Håsäther said:
It would be wrong to call a DOCTYPE declaration valid, but yes, both
are correct and means the exact same thing.

As you may know, the first parameter of a DOCTYPE declaration is the
document element (or root element). Since HTML uses NAMECASE GENERAL
YES in the NAMING section of the SGML declaration, "html" will be case-
folded to "HTML".

Thanks for giving a more correct and to-the-point answer than Yucca, who
sidestepped the issue for Usenet supremacy reasons.

Neal

Jukka K. Korpela said:
Someone might find it odd that the seller of a purported "HTML validator"
does not know such a thing, and does not know where to find authoritative
answers on such matters. How can a validator do anything if it does not
even know what to do with a document type declaration?

As far as professional HTML folks go, you know I agree wholeheartedly. But
how does this response serve the archive? What of the poor sap who,
searching on this same question yet not being a pro, discovering the
answer to his query?

WEhile you serve your Usenet reputation, Yucca, you do not serve Usenet
with your response.

Mark Parnell

Previously in alt.html said:
WEhile you serve your Usenet reputation, Yucca, you do not serve Usenet
with your response.

In Jukka's defence, he *did* actually answer the question, in the part
of his post you snipped: