Terminology - RAII vs. Scope Guard vs...?

Alf P. Steinbach

'cause, you know, c.l.c++ is SO MUCH BETTER...

Considering that Andrei (but unfortunately not Petru Marginean), one of
the authors of the original ScopeGuard article, used to be here, and
considering that he's evidently not been over there, yes.

That's the beauty of free speech (like clc++), as opposed to editorial
dictatorship over content (wikipedia or e.g. Stack Overflow), namely
that incorrect statements do not live long in an arena of free speech.

And there are still some experts frequenting this group.

But I think you meant that sarcastically.

Still, it's good that people say what they mean, even if it's expressed
as sarcasm, for only that way can they and others learn.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

Rui Maciel

Miles said:
'cause, you know, c.l.c++ is SO MUCH BETTER...

In my opinion it is undoubtedly better, just for the fact that ideas can be
openly discussed (it's the purpose of a newsgroup) and therefore unfounded
claims don't tend to get a free pass.

With wikipedia, some people tend to read the article without a drop of
critical thinking. So, it's possible that, for example, if you edit the
article on Swedish monarchs to include Elvis, before you know it you have
people claiming that "love me tender" is Sweden's national anthem. And why?
Because wikipedia, that's why. If it's written there then it must be true.

On a side note, some people tend to complain about how pedantic some
discussions end up being on comp.lang.c++. Yet, the effective use of a
programming language is tied to the knowledge on how it actually works.
Whether we like it or not this means being aware of how a number of minute
details do affect how the language works. If no attention is paid to these
minute details then we might not really know how and why a language feature
works, and as a consequence we might not really know what we are doing.
With this, bad things can happen, and often do. So, while some people refer
to pedantry, in the context of a technical discussion, as an undesirable
character, it is in fact the exact opposite, as it is an effective way to
bet deeper insight into this technology.

Rui Maciel

Rui Maciel

Noah said:
Certainly not the way I interpret it. Looks to me like he's
describing a technique that answers a specific class of problem, not a
programming paradigm that needs to be used across the board in a
program.

I don't believe anyone tried to make any of the claims you mentioned. The
point of this discussion is that, in spite of your claim, RAII is not a C++
idiom, but a techinque devised to help managing resources.

Rui Maciel

Miles Bader

Rui Maciel said:
In my opinion it is undoubtedly better, just for the fact that ideas can be
openly discussed (it's the purpose of a newsgroup) and therefore unfounded
claims don't tend to get a free pass.

Sure, the feeling of freedom is great ... but c.l.c++ certainly doesn't
have any shortage of annoying wannabe academics...

-miles

Noah Roberts

Holy **** has this newsgroup gone downhill!