getting rid of dependency of default values

asianmuscle

I am trying to learn RAII and some template techniques by writer a
smarter pointer class to manage the resource management. Since I find
that a lot of the resource management is kinda the same, I try to mimic
some other examples outther then tailor to my needs. My case is for
windows handle like hkey, dll library, file handle, etc. But the code
largely uses standard C++. Only the Clean up action, I put windows api
call in there.
In general, I want to archieve one thing: the template will instantiate
when I give it the inpout type, then call the CloseResource eventually
to clean up on exit of scope.

But I have a hard time to make the class to find out what the
NULL_VALUE is. NULL_VALUE is a value that depends on the type. or is
this a worthwhile effort to get rid of that dependency?I defaulted
evertyhing to NULL now but not all type will default to NULL, if I take
extendsibility into account.

Also I notice I end up with a lot of small policy classes. Is there a
way to reduce that number? Because all it depends is the windows API
call. I think I am asking somethign circular here. Thanks. See below
for code:

For the release policy code:
#include <windows.h>

template <typename hType>
struct RegistryPolicy{
void CloseResource(hType& h){
::RegCloseKey(h);
h=NULL; //?
};

protected: // do I need these or delete those? they are compiler
generated anyway
RegistryPolicy(){};
~RegistryPolicy(){};
private:
RegistryPolicy(RegistryPolicy&);
RegistryPolicy& operator=(RegistryPolicy&);
};

template <typename hType>
struct LibraryPolicy{
void CloseResource(hType& h){
::FreeLibrary(h);
h=NULL; //?
};
protected:
LibraryPolicy(){};
~LibraryPolicy(){};
private:
explicit LibraryPolicy(LibraryPolicy&);
LibraryPolicy& operator=(LibraryPolicy&);
};

template <typename hType>
struct CloseViewOfFile{
void CloseResource(hType& h){
::UnmapViewOfFile(h);
h=NULL; //?
};
protected:
explicit CloseViewOfFile(){};
~CloseViewOfFile(){};
private:
CloseViewOfFile(CloseViewOfFile&);
CloseViewOfFile& operator=(CloseViewOfFile&);

};
///////////////////////////// my smarter pointer code in below
//////////////////////////////
template <class T>
void DestroyObject(T object) {object->Destroy();}

template <class T>
void DesposeObject(T object) {object->CloseResource();}

//
//

template <typename hType,
template<typename> class ReleasePolicy=DeposeObject,
hType NULL_VALUE=NULL> //how to generalize NULL_VALUE? make it
get the value depending on the type?
class SmarterHolder{
private:
hType mhandle;

void CleanUp(){
if (NULL_VALUE!= mhandle)
{
ReleasePolicy(mhandle);
mhandle = NULL_VALUE;
hType operator=(hType);
SmarterHolder(SmarterHolder&);

public:
explicit SmarterHolder():mhandle(NULL_VALUE){};
explicit SmarterHolder(hType h): mhandle(h){};
~SmarterHolder(){ ReleasePolicy(); };
operator hType () const { return mhandle; }
bool IsValidHandle() const { return NULL_VALUE != mhandle; }

};
#endif

mlimber

[...]

See below.
Also I notice I end up with a lot of small policy classes. Is there a
way to reduce that number? Because all it depends is the windows API
call. I think I am asking somethign circular here.

Some existing implementations of smart pointers (e.g.,
std::tr1::shared_ptr aka boost::shared_ptr) accept a deleter argument.
That would suffice in a case such as this:

struct SomeHandle { /*...*/ };
SomeHandle* GetResource();
void FreeResource( SomeHandle* );

std::tr1::shared_ptr<SomeHandle> handle(
GetResource(), FreeResource );

You could also use boost::bind or boost::lambda to reduce the number of
simple policies (probably not a good idea if they are used more than
once).
For the release policy code:
#include <windows.h>

template <typename hType>
struct RegistryPolicy{
void CloseResource(hType& h){
::RegCloseKey(h);
h=NULL; //?

Setting to NULL is probably unnecessary if you're using smart pointers
since the smart pointer is entirely responsible for the resource and
will only call on the release policy when the item is being destroyed
(either on destruction or reset).

Semicolons are not necessary after function definitions. You should
also make this function static since there is no member data in play
here.
protected: // do I need these or delete those? they are compiler
generated anyway
RegistryPolicy(){};
~RegistryPolicy(){};

They would be generated public by default. You must define them
yourself to override that.
private:
RegistryPolicy(RegistryPolicy&);
RegistryPolicy& operator=(RegistryPolicy&);

The function parameter should be const in both cases.
};

template <typename hType>
struct LibraryPolicy{
void CloseResource(hType& h){
::FreeLibrary(h);
h=NULL; //?
};
[...]

Dispose?

//
//

template <typename hType,
template<typename> class ReleasePolicy=DeposeObject,
DisposeObject?

hType NULL_VALUE=NULL>//how to generalize NULL_VALUE? makeit
get the value depending on the type?

Use the default value of hType:

template
<
typename hType,
template said:
class SmartHolder;
class SmarterHolder{
private:
hType mhandle;

void CleanUp(){
if (NULL_VALUE!= mhandle)
{
ReleasePolicy(mhandle);
mhandle = NULL_VALUE;
hType operator=(hType);
SmarterHolder(SmarterHolder&);

public:
explicit SmarterHolder():mhandle(NULL_VALUE){};
explicit SmarterHolder(hType h): mhandle(h){};
~SmarterHolder(){ ReleasePolicy(); };
operator hType () const { return mhandle; }
bool IsValidHandle() const { return NULL_VALUE != mhandle; }
};
#endif

I'd suggest that, rather than rolling your own, you should switch to
using a tried-and-true RAII mechanism like std::tr1::/boost::shared_ptr
(where you would supply a custom deleter) or even Loki::SmartPtr (where
you would supply a storage policy). No need to reinvent the wheel.

Cheers! --M

asianmuscle

Hi, thanks for your feedback. I learnt quite something by reading your
reply. The reason of making this is an exercise for me to learn more on
using template. My C++ is kinda shaky after 4 yrs of idle.
SmarterHandle to call the the "Policy template class" such that, the
call will dispatch to the appropriate CleanResource. The idea was to
let the function template DisposeObject right above smarterhandle, then
which in turn defer to the policy class. I note that all the example I
see on theweb have SmarterHandle to inherit from ReleasePolicy to get
access to
CloseResource. But I just don't get why it has to inherit. so instead I
just try to do a usage here. But I can see there is something not going
right with my current arrangement. Can you help me a bit on that. I
don't think my C++ skills is good enough to concretly pinpoint that.
Thanks

Peter

I am trying to learn RAII and some template techniques by writer a

I don't fully understand why you need templates here.
I usually write one class for every way I can allocate a system
resource.
E.g. LoadLibrary belongs in the constructor and FreeLibrary into the
destructor.
E.g. RegCreateKey belongs into the constructor and RegCloseKey() into
the destructor.
If allocation fails throw an an exception containing the full error
information -- e.g. GetLastError()
-- what() should then return the system error message -- using
FormatMessage() I think.

The same applies for other operating systems.

Peter

I am trying to learn RAII and some template techniques by writer a

I don't fully understand why you need templates here.
I usually write one class for every way I can allocate a system
resource.
E.g. LoadLibrary belongs in the constructor and FreeLibrary into the
destructor.
E.g. RegCreateKey belongs into the constructor and RegCloseKey() into
the destructor.
If allocation fails throw an an exception containing the full error
information -- e.g. GetLastError()
-- what() should then return the system error message -- using
FormatMessage() I think.

The same applies for other operating systems.

mlimber

First, please don't top-post here (see
http://parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/how-to-post.html#faq-5.4). I fixed it
for you in this reply.
Hi, thanks for your feedback. I learnt quite something by reading your
reply. The reason of making this is an exercise for me to learn more on
using template. My C++ is kinda shaky after 4 yrs of idle.

You should pick up _Accelerated C++_ by Koenig and Moo. It's great for
re-learning C++ the right way. Also, you might be interested in _Modern
C++ Design_ by Alexandrescu. You can see his chapter on smart pointers
here for free:

http://www.informit.com/articles/printerfriendly.asp?p=25264&rl=1
SmarterHandle to call the the "Policy template class" such that, the
call will dispatch to the appropriate CleanResource. The idea was to
let the function template DisposeObject right above smarterhandle, then
which in turn defer to the policy class. I note that all the example I
see on theweb have SmarterHandle to inherit from ReleasePolicy to get
access to
CloseResource. But I just don't get why it has to inherit. so instead I
just try to do a usage here. But I can see there is something not going
right with my current arrangement. Can you help me a bit on that. I
don't think my C++ skills is good enough to concretly pinpoint that.

Inheritance is sometimes required if you want to build an interface
from policies. For instance:

struct A
{
static void f1() { /*...*/ }
void f2() { /*...*/ }
};

struct B
{
static void f3() { /*...*/ }
};

template<class Policy1, class Policy2>
struct C : Policy1
{
C()
{
f1();
f2();
Policy2::f3();
}
};

typedef C<A,B> D;

void Foo( D& d )
{
D::f1(); // Ok
d.f2(); // Ok
D::f3(); // Error!
}

Notice that while D has no member functions of its own (other than the
constructor), it inherits some from its Policy1 template parameter and
it can internally use those of its Policy2 template parameter. In
general, you should not inherit unless you need to (cf.
http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/private-inheritance.html#faq-24.3).

Cheers! --M