"The compiler failed with error code 1"

deane.barker

Is there any recommended solution to this error message? I get it
*all the time.*

It's seemingly random, but it obviously happens right after I change
some code so a page or the app recompiles. I'll refresh the page, and
here's this error. It has no other information, except a link to
click for "Detailed Compiler Output" that has nothing but the command
line that was invoked to compile.

This error has occurred on:

* More than one Web app
* More than one server
* More than one IDE

I posted about this to the Joel on Software .Net discussion group:

http://discuss.joelonsoftware.com/default.asp?dotnet.12.430609.8

However, that discussion just became a debate about what editor I
might be using and how that would affect it. Like I mentioned, it
happens whether or not I use Visual Studio or a simple text editor.

Making the error go away is a pain. Any one of these methods might
work:

* Change some code on the page so that page recompiles
* Change something in the Web.config so the entire app recompiles
* Delete all the files in the "Temporary ASP.Net Files" directory

It's hit or miss to get it to go away, and I *really* want to get to
the source of the problem. Since this error has followed me around
from app to app, server to server, and IDE to IDE, I'm willing to
concede it *has* to be something I'm doing.

Deane

bruce barker

the most common cause is having one page reference another without the
actual reference directive. during a normal compile paged are batched
together during the compile for compile performance. if one page
refereneces another but they are in the same batch ok. now when a single
page compiles without it batch mate, it fails.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)