I am having trouble with hover and <p>.
I have reduced the problem to this:

Given a HTML-page like this:

<a>Number1</a>

<a>Number2</a>

<a>Number3</a>

And a CSS like this:

a {font-size: 0.9em;}

a:link {color: red ; text-decoration: none;}

a:visited {color: gray; text-decoration: none;}

a:hover {color: red ; background-color: black; text-decoration: underline;}

a:active {color: red; text-transform: uppercase ; text-decoration:
underline;}

..nav a:hover {color: yellow ; background-color: black; text-decoration:
underline;}

..nav a {font-size:2em font: 1.3em "Trebuchet MS", verdana,
sans-serif;text-decoration: none;text-transform: uppercase;padding: 5px;

margin: 0px 10px;border-style:solid;border-width: 1px;border-color:#542F17;}

p {font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;font-size: 0.9em;}

/*p:hover {}*/

If I run this page and move the mouse over the text no hovering effect
occurs.

If I uncomment the last line in the CSS it works.

Can someone please explain what I dont grasp?

/k

bruce barker

your anchors do not have an href specification (link), so none of the psuedo
:)) properties work.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

kurt sune

Thanks, you are right about that.

But why does the inclusion of "p:hover {}"
triggers the hover-action on a <a>-tag that lacks the href?

/k