The most efficient way to buid / debug custom control

Nick Goloborodko

Hi,

I've got the following question: I'm currently in the process of building a
custom control (the one that is compiled into a single dll), and at the
moment its a tedious task.

My current configuration: 2 projects - one containing code and other files
related to the control, another one containing my testing webform. They
both are oppened in separate instances of VS.NET.

At the moment just to try and see what a small change in control does to the
end result i take the following steps:
1) Make the change and compile the Custom control project.
2) Remove any references to it in the test web form (that includes deleting
all of the instances from the form, removing the reference to the library
from the reference on the top RHS tree, deleting the control from the
toolbox)
3) Adding the control to the toolbox.
4) Setting custom properties for the control(s).
5) Launching the Sample web form.

This is the process that i ahve found that works. Other approaches that i
have tried sometimes didn't propogate the changes in the Custom Control
into the sample form. But since this is Microsoft - i am sure there must be
an easier way :) So if someone can outline the steps or point me to a page
on the web that explains the process i would greatly appreciate it. All of
my searches for this topic to date have failed to produce any results.

Also, how do i debug the control using the VS.NET environment? Once again i
have not found much resources outlining the process. (From my experience
even the process of development of WebParts for Sharepoint is outlined in
more places... am i just missing something?)

TIA
Nick Goloborodko

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

Put both your projects into a single solution.
From your test app, make a PROJECT REFERENCE to your control's project.
Now add the DLL control to your test app.

Now you should be able to debug straight from your test app and step
directly into the control's source code, and you shouldn't have to jump
through hoops every time you modify your control.

twostepted

Guys,

I haven't been able to get this to work yet. How do you make a PROJECT
REFERENCE?

Thanks,

--Travis

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

In the Solution Explorer window in VS.NET, right click on References and
select "Add Reference..."
Then click on the Projects tab and select your project.