There is no way to hide Javascript programs, but . . .

Dung Ping

If saving Javascript and CSS code as external files, access to them
will be more difficult. Extra efforts are needed to open those files.
Please verify.

Also, I've heard Java and Visual Basic have certifications. Javascript
is extremely useful. Is there a similar certificate?

Thanks.
Dung Ping

Christopher Benson-Manica

Dung Ping said:
If saving Javascript and CSS code as external files, access to them
will be more difficult. Extra efforts are needed to open those files.
Please verify.

If someone is savvy enough to want your CSS and script, they will make
short work of getting it. The extra effort is marginal, and will only
stop those who are not worth stopping.

Baconbutty

Extra efforts are needed to open those files.

Not really. It is very easy.
Is there a similar certificate?

Not aware of one. Java and Visual Basic are lead by Sun and Microsoft.
Javascript does not have one controller to dream up certification
schemes.

Martin Honnen

Dung said:
Also, I've heard Java and Visual Basic have certifications.

What kind of certification? Like Sun certified Java programmer or MS
certified VB programmer?
Javascript
is extremely useful. Is there a similar certificate?

There are certainly companies where you can take courses in HTML and/or
CSS and/or client-side JavaScript which will at the end give you some
certificate, e.g. that one here
<http://www.brainbench.com/xml/bb/common/testcenter/taketest.xml?testId=1186>

That is just one example, I am sure there are others, use a search engine.

Randy Webb

Dung Ping said the following on 10/4/2005 11:40 AM:
If saving Javascript and CSS code as external files, access to them
will be more difficult. Extra efforts are needed to open those files.
Please verify.

I can verify thats a flawed reasoning.

Extra effort in having to do one more step? Yes.
Extra effort in excessive effort to prevent it? No way.
Also, I've heard Java and Visual Basic have certifications. Javascript
is extremely useful. Is there a similar certificate?

Yes, you can use signed scripts. They aren't cheap and they won't
protect anything.

web.dev

Dung said:
If saving Javascript and CSS code as external files, access to them
will be more difficult. Extra efforts are needed to open those files.
Please verify.

Piece of cake.
Also, I've heard Java and Visual Basic have certifications. Javascript
is extremely useful. Is there a similar certificate?

All that a signed certificate does is proving its authenticity and
nothing more. It won't prevent users from seeing your code.

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>
, dated Tue, 4 Oct 2005 08:40:33, seen in
Dung Ping said:
If saving Javascript and CSS code as external files, access to them
will be more difficult. Extra efforts are needed to open those files.
Please verify.

There are better reasons for putting javascript and CSS in external
files, unless your Web presence consists only of individual pages with
no common script or CSS.

The method will be reasonably effective at hiding stuff from those who
know no more than the one who asked the question. Those who do know
more may be interested, but are unlikely to benefit from copying what
they find.