Timeout expired problem

Eric S

Hi All,

Using Windows 2008 enterprise version.

I created a web site using .net 3.5 and ms sql 2008. Sometimes when the web
site is idle it freezes afterwards when I clack on the menu and I am getting
a Time Out error as follows.

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the
operation or the server is not responding.

What do you suggest to resolve it?

Thanks,

Eric

Guest

Hi All,

Using Windows 2008 enterprise version.

I created a web site using .net 3.5 and ms sql 2008. Sometimes when the web
site is idle it freezes afterwards when I clack on the menu and I am getting
a Time Out error as follows.

Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the
operation or the server is not responding.

What do you suggest to resolve it?

Thanks,

Eric

Where does it freeze, on a database call?

Eric S

Hi Alexey,

It seems we get this error when it calls the database. The database is very
small and just carry some tables for the menu definitions. One problem that
I noticed every time we click on the menu there is a call to the database so
I will try to make sure, that there will be just one call to the database
when the menu is loaded. The point is that later we do a search in a much
bigger database and in that moment we never get the Timeout expired error.

Any suggestions and some idea for code is appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

[...]

Where does it freeze, on a database call?- Hide quoted text -

Check this article: http://www.15seconds.com/Issue/040830.htm

(regarding conn.Close and sp_who)

I would also try to check if you don't have the same behavior from SQL
Server Management Studio (or any other tool) - open connection,
execute your query, wait a while, execute again.

Eric S

Hi Alexey ,

Thanks for your reply.

I tested the sql statement that generates xml via the Server Management
Studio and it works just fine and I tried that many times. Is there any
tweaking that you may think that is required to do in ms sql 2008? Now when
I open only 1 connection for the menu and it does not crash anymore. I like
the idea of connection pooling since I need to think what happens when 50 to
100 people will get into the web site. Any class some where that manages
that?

Thanks again.

Eric