Timeout

maa

The workflow is a user is making a request. On processing the reqeust there
is interaction between the client and server. The server can take anywhere
between 1 and 30 minutes. My client is hanging after a couple of minutes.
How can I prevent this?
Thanks,
Marc

Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]

You are attempting to make ASP.NET do something it was never designed to do.
The default page timeout is way lower than your "between 1 and 30 minutes".
What you need to do is rethink the architecture - store the results, and
have your page do some sort of polling to determine when the results are
ready for display to the user.
-- Peter
Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com

ThatsIT.net.au

I agree anything that takes 30 minutes is not for a asp.net page. It also
sounds as if its not a job for your server.

Think about bigger more powerful hardware.

What I would do is store the inputs from the client along with his email.
Create a message queue
Build a service to read the queue and process the inputs and email the user
back