Timezone string and converting dates to my time zone

laredotornado

Hi,

I'm using Java 1.6. I'm trying to convert a date that is of a
different time zone than what my machine is and I'm trying to get an
equivalent java.util.Date object for my time zone. So I'm trying ...

public void setLEAD_ENTRY_DATE(Date lEAD_ENTRY_DATE) {
final Calendar cal = Calendar.getInstance();
final String tz =
EnvironmentProperties.getInstance().get("database_time_zone").trim();
cal.setTimeZone( TimeZone.getTimeZone(tz) );
cal.setTime( lEAD_ENTRY_DATE );
this.LEAD_ENTRY_DATE = cal.getTime();

but this isn't working (time passed in is the same as what I get
back). The time zone string is, "GMT-5:00", and I'm in central
standard time (GMT-6:00). Any hints on how to get this right are
greatly appreciated, - Dave

markspace

but this isn't working (time passed in is the same as what I get
back). The time zone string is, "GMT-5:00", and I'm in central
standard time (GMT-6:00). Any hints on how to get this right are
greatly appreciated, - Dave

Wouldn't your own current time zone just be TimeZone.getDefault()?

Nigel Wade

Hi,

I'm using Java 1.6. I'm trying to convert a date that is of a
different time zone than what my machine is and I'm trying to get an
equivalent java.util.Date object for my time zone. So I'm trying ...

public void setLEAD_ENTRY_DATE(Date lEAD_ENTRY_DATE) {
final Calendar cal = Calendar.getInstance();
final String tz =
EnvironmentProperties.getInstance().get("database_time_zone").trim();
cal.setTimeZone( TimeZone.getTimeZone(tz) );
cal.setTime( lEAD_ENTRY_DATE );
this.LEAD_ENTRY_DATE = cal.getTime();

but this isn't working (time passed in is the same as what I get
back). The time zone string is, "GMT-5:00", and I'm in central
standard time (GMT-6:00). Any hints on how to get this right are
greatly appreciated, - Dave

Date doesn't have a timezone, or it's always represented in UTC,
depending on your perspective. It represents a specific instant in time,
independent of timezone.

You can convert from a Date to a wallclock date/time in a particular
timezone (as represented by a Calendar) just as you do in your code. If
you convert from that Calendar back to a Date you will get the same Date
back.