Timing problem on (overly) complex page.

julie.siebel

OK, first off, my apologies in advance for the state of my javascript.
It's not my forte (I don't really *have* a forte - lol). It's a big,
long, messy file, and if you look at it and say "forget it!" I won't
blame you a bit.

I could post the functions that are causing the problems here I think
it makes more sense if you can see what I'm talking about. The page
I'm working on is here:

http://www.untours.com/samplerstage2-7.asp?RID1=331&RID2=329&Code=07STSH

This page is for a travel company. It accomplishes two things: it
takes several pages, searches and server hits, and combines 'em into a
single page, and the single page format makes it less likely the
client will get "lost" on the site trying to spec the trip. (These are
the problems we are attempting to solve.)

The page *almost* works, and if fact, works most of the time. However,
if you click CLEAR ALL (function showall()) and then click a date
really quickly, it gets stuck - at that point, no amount of clicking
on that date will work. However, if you click another date, then it
resets and works fine. There's a similar problem if you click on a
property name/picture and quickly click a date, though it's a lot less
common than after "clearing" the page.

This page is a prime example of a page trying to do too much. I try to
keep pages at 100k OUTSIDE max (telephone just rang 5 times - 20k per
ring, on a 56k modem). The javascript also isn't very efficient, and
I'm sure I broke all kinds of JS rules, though the built page does
validate, html-wise. It's untested in anything other than IE6 Windows,
Firefox 2 Windows.

I tried adding an "activity indicator" over the date section, that was
turned off at the end of the showall() function, but it just blows
right past it and still doesn't work.

Since I was also getting the the error after clicking on a property
name/photo (the showdesc() function) I figured I'd try to see if I
could slow down the beginning of the pickdate() function (the function
that doesn't execute sometimes when you click on a date) by adding an
alert as the first command, for testing purposes. Definitely not a
problem with pickdate(), because even the alert wouldn't run if I
clicked a date quickly enough after a clear all.

I've obviously really boogered something up here, but I am just not
seeing it. Also, if anyone notices something that I am doing that is
just a slow, stupid way of doing things, please tell me - you won't
hurt my feelings - lol.

(And yes, I do know that 10k of SQL, 4k of VBScript, and a zillion
lines of javascript is NO WAY to build a page...I'm kinda stuck now,
though, 'cause the client loves it.)

Any help, a point to a thread or a page on timing problems...
whatever... would be really appreciated. I did search the group first
but didn't find anything that seemed to apply.

Thanks for your patience.

Julie