toggle name, With explanations

Eric S. Johansson

the wonderful responses I received from people like Lazlo, Paul, and Stephen has
given me some ideas about a different approach. First, here's explanation of
what I'm doing

I'm developing a method which will enable hand disabled developers such as
myself to create and manipulate symbols identical to those created by
non-disabled developers. the input mechanism will be speech recognition
maximizing the use of ordinary continuous English dictation and a minimal set of
commands to activate this method. Subsequent work will produce a speech user
interface for navigation code and tools such as debuggers bypassing the
interference and constraints created by GUIs.

The core concept is any string of a natural language words can be transformed
into a symbol by storing the matchup between the natural language word string
and the symbol string in a database. in other words, a dictionary which has
paired keys and one key can return the other.

in my original request I was thinking about parsing the environment and looking
for the transition between code and symbol or natural language word string but
unfortunately, that technique breaks because the characters around the region of
interest may not be complete or correct code. So I thought about trying to look
at the other way. If you find a string of characters that you don't look like a
symbol or look like a string of natural in words, when the characters stop
looking like that, then that defines the limits of the region of interest.

example:

s.pack(side=Tkinter.R^IGHT, fill=Tkinter.Y)

the carrot marks the current position. If I was to say this point, "toggle
word", I would first look to the left and the right and look forward the
character string stopped looking like a symbol or a natural language word
string.in this example, I would find the string "RIGHT". If I didn't find
anything, I would look one more character to the left and see if there was a "."
present, do the same search again this time solely to the left and I would have
the string "TKinter.RIGHT". The database would have the in tree and replace it
with "TK interpreter right" so I could edit the string with speech recognition.

s.pack(side=TK interpreter^ right, fill=Tkinter.Y)

Then using the same basic technique as I described above, I looked left and
right for a series of symbols, in this case they are actually words, until I
reach something that is not a symbol. The end result is used a key for the
database which would return "Tkinter.RIGHT"

It looks like if I'm correct, this is a much simpler way of doing what I wanted
to do (extract symbols and natural language word strings).

1) can you see any holes in this logic?
2) what would you recommend for regular expressions. The reason I ask is that if
you have spaces in the string, you only want want alphanumeric sequences,
if you have alphanumeric plus symbol special characters, you don't want spaces.
I'm not sure how strict that precondition should be. I'm going to
need to think about it more. Opinions would be welcome.

I think this works for almost any language too which is really important in the
disabled programmer community.

I appreciate your patience. Sometimes the overhead of communicating using speech
recognition with tools don't work well with speech recognition such as
Thunderbird makes the whole process of writing almost more difficult than it's
worth. Working on tools like this is incremental progress I need to make
in order to be able to bring speech recognition-based accessibility to the
Python world.

--- eric