Tomcat 5.0 with JDK 1.3.1_08

Bud Curtis

I installed Tomcat 5.0 on my W2K SP2 system, which has JDK 1.3.1_08 VM
installed. I couldn't bring up Tomcat until I copied the jaxp-api.jar
to the %catalina.home%/common/endorsed folder.

I installed Tomcat 5.0 because I'm evaluating myEclipse (JDEE IDE for
eclipse). It indicated that there was native debugging of JSPs if you
used Tomcat 5.0.

(1) Is Tomcat 5.0 not suppose to run with anything less than JDK 1.4?
I think the XML transforms API come standard with JDK 1.4.

(2) Has anyone any experience with the new Eclipse 2.1 and myEclipse
using JDK 1.4 instead of 1.3? I would prefer to use 1.4, but I didn't
think Eclipse would run with it.

Any help or suggestions regarding evaluating myEclipse or the
configuration setup would be apprecated.

Thank You,
Bud Curtis

Christophe Vanfleteren

Bud said:
(2) Has anyone any experience with the new Eclipse 2.1 and myEclipse
using JDK 1.4 instead of 1.3? I would prefer to use 1.4, but I didn't
think Eclipse would run with it.

Eclipse runs fine on 1.4 AFAIK.
Backward compatibility is very good in Java.

Scott

Bud,

I installed Tomcat 5.0 on my W2K SP2 system, which has JDK 1.3.1_08 VM
installed. I couldn't bring up Tomcat until I copied the jaxp-api.jar
to the %catalina.home%/common/endorsed folder.

You should really only run Tomcat 5.0 with JDK 1.4+. I don't believe
backward compatibility with 1.3.1 is one of the project goals at
present.
I installed Tomcat 5.0 because I'm evaluating myEclipse (JDEE IDE for
eclipse). It indicated that there was native debugging of JSPs if you
used Tomcat 5.0.

(1) Is Tomcat 5.0 not suppose to run with anything less than JDK 1.4?
I think the XML transforms API come standard with JDK 1.4.

Thanks for your interest in our product. Native JSP debugging works
well with Tomcat 5, but you must run Tomcat 5 with JDK 1.4.1+ since it
relies on the new Java debugger architecture.
(2) Has anyone any experience with the new Eclipse 2.1 and myEclipse
using JDK 1.4 instead of 1.3? I would prefer to use 1.4, but I didn't
think Eclipse would run with it.

Eclipse runs great with JDK 1.4+, although it is also 1.3.1 compliant.
You may run Eclipse with JDK 1.3.1 and launch Tomcat 5 with JDK 1.4.2
if you'd like. MyEclipse lets you select which JDK to launch the
servers with, independent of the one used to launch Eclipse.
Any help or suggestions regarding evaluating myEclipse or the
configuration setup would be apprecated.
Glad to help, but you'll get much faster turnaround on questions if
you post them to the free MyEclipse support forums
(http://myeclipseide.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=index).

--Scott
MyEclipse Support