Tomcat on 64 bit "optimized" JVM.

Pedro

Hi,

Does anyone know if the more recent Linux distributions of SuSE 10 and
latests RedHat distros when installed in 64bit platforms have already
installed JVM 1.5.
And does Tomcat starts on this latests 1.5 JVM version?
Does anyone tested the response on AMD Opteron Machines with Dual core
CPU's?
Maybe with jmeter .... a small test .. What are the result in
comparison with the same application on a 32 bit system.

I know ... maybe I want to know to much ... well, at least I give it a go.

Best regards,
Pedro

tom fredriksen

Pedro said:
Hi,

Does anyone know if the more recent Linux distributions of SuSE 10 and
latests RedHat distros when installed in 64bit platforms have already
installed JVM 1.5.

I think you can get it from the red hat ftp site.

There is one for the

Linux AMD64 Platform - J2SE(TM) Development Kit 5.0 Update 6

on the sun download page though. But according to this page its does not
have hotspot yet (1.4.2)

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/vm/
search for "64"

No mention about it for the 1.5.0 version.

/tom

Rob Skedgell

Pedro said:
Hi,

Does anyone know if the more recent Linux distributions of SuSE 10 and
latests RedHat distros when installed in 64bit platforms have already
installed JVM 1.5.
And does Tomcat starts on this latests 1.5 JVM version?
Does anyone tested the response on AMD Opteron Machines with Dual core
CPU's?
Maybe with jmeter .... a small test .. What are the result in
comparison with the same application on a 32 bit system.

I know ... maybe I want to know to much ... well, at least I give it a
go.

Best regards,
Pedro

If you need RPMs of 1.5.0, you could download
java-1.5.0-sun-1.5.0.06-1jpp.nosrc.rpm from
<http://www.jpackage.org/rpm.php?id=3366> and
jdk-1_5_0_06-linux-amd64.bin from
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp>, then follow the
rebuilding instructions on the JPackage site. Seems to work OK here -
2x Opteron 244 (single cores), OpenSuSE. SuSE have used JPackage's
conventions for Java RPMs since 9.2 or 9.3.

Pedro

Thanks a lot guys.
I have SuSE 9.3 and it does bring the rpm's for x86_64 on many many
packages.
I have already seened the typical sites ... but I still need to have some
hard data about performance.
And apart from the ususal www.spec.org there is little info out there.
(http://www.spec.org/jbb2005/results)
The cpu comparisons are great but that is simply not enough to compare
tomcat performance ...

Regards,
Pedro

Joined
Jun 3, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
After looking at many sollutions on internet, I did a trick that worked for me and if you follow it properly it should work for you as well...

Operating systems Windows 2003 and 2008 server (64 bit)

Download and Install JDK 1.6 or any other version (64 bit version)
java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp

Download and install tomcat "Windows Service Installer"
tomcat.apache.org/download-60.cgi#6.0.20

- Make sure during the installation that you point to the right directory of JDK 1.6 (64 bit)

Now Download "Zip" folder of same tomcat version and replace all files from installed tomcat folder with files and folders from Zip version
tomcat.apache.org/download-60.cgi#6.0.20

- The reason is your installation of tomcat does all the required entries for you but it doesn't give you startup and service files etc... I understand it looks bit cheeky but it always works for me.

Now define JAVA_HOME environment variable
Go to control pannel => System => Advance Settings => Advance => Click "Environment Variables" Click "New" system variable and type JAVA_HOME variable name and path the JDK1.6 as a value.

You may possibly need to restart your system to make JAVA_HOME active in environment, but if you don't want to restart your computer temporarily just type "Set JAVA_HOME={Path to JDK}" on command prompt.

from Tomcat bin folder type "startup.bat" it should be ready to test in Internet explorer.

(Note: there may be more robust sollutions)

Cheers,
Zeeshan Patoli