64 bit ruby installation on 64 bit windows

Ichigo Poi

hi, could anyone help me answer the following questions.

i've tried installing a 64-bit ruby on a 64-bit windows.
i've successfully installed it and able to try some codes
using irb. but when i tried to update the gem, i got the
error that the zlib can't be found, even though i have
it in the ruby\bin folder.

my question is this, does zlib dll and other dlls need to be
64 bit in order to install gems in ruby?
are there any links where i can download 64-bit zlib?
i tried googling but couldn't find one.

thanks in advance.

Luis Lavena

hi, could anyone help me answer the following questions.

i've tried installing a 64-bit ruby on a 64-bit windows.
i've successfully installed it and able to try some codes
using irb. but when i tried to update the gem, i got the
error that the zlib can't be found, even though i have
it in the ruby\bin folder.

my question is this, does zlib dll and other dlls need to be
64 bit in order to install gems in ruby?

Yes, all the DLLs needs to be exactly of the same architecture.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2265023/load-32bit-dll-library-in-64bit-application
are there any links where i can download 64-bit zlib?

There is no pre-built binary. Even more, you will need to use the same
compiler used to build Ruby as the CRT differences could generate
issues in memory allocation and release (which translates to
segfaults)

Unless you have a 64bits DLL that you need to interface with, I would
advise you install 32bits Ruby and avoid the pain of building
everything (zlib, openssl, readline and many others) from scratch.

It might be biased, but I would recommend you use RubyInstaller
packages:

http://rubyinstaller.org/

HTH,

Guillaume Bloss

Yes I tried to compile ruby for 64b arch, but there is too many
libraries to compile in 64, and at the end, I choose to use 32b version
of ruby.

If you don't need to install any gems and just for a basic usage, it
will work fine, but quickly you would install some gems, thaw will
require specific libraries you will need to compile in 64b too, and then
you will see that this specific library you will try to compile don't
support your compiler or 64b or something like that :s

but still if you want to try, I suggest you to don't use the microsoft
compiler, since some important library (don't remember wich one) dont
support this compiler anymore (that's probably why the rubyinstaller
team did not compile new rubyinstaller version with mswin32, but use
mingw ...)

Of course you will also need to recompile all gems you want to install.

Roger Pack

Ichigo said:
hi, could anyone help me answer the following questions.

i've tried installing a 64-bit ruby on a 64-bit windows.

jruby under a 64-bit java VM should work OOTB on doze. That's probably
not the answer you were looking for, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Charles Oliver Nutter

jruby under a 64-bit java VM should work OOTB on doze. =C2=A0That's proba= bly
not the answer you were looking for, but thought I'd throw it out there.

Yes. No recompiles, no C exts that don't support 64-bit. Unpack and run.

- Charlie