64-bit Ruby? FXRuby

Ralph Shnelvar

Environment: Windows _without_ a WOW.

Is there a 64-bit version of 1.8.7 that will run in the environment, above?

And, yes, I looked for the answer to the question. I found:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1698862/ruby-installer-on-windows-7-64-bit-machine
which does not help me much.

Bonus question: If there is, will FXRuby run in that environment?

Double Bonus question: Will FXRuby run in a JRuby environment?
For the double bonus question I saw
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/fxruby-users/2008-May/001517.html

Chuck Remes

Environment: Windows _without_ a WOW.

Is there a 64-bit version of 1.8.7 that will run in the environment, above?

And, yes, I looked for the answer to the question. I found:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1698862/ruby-installer-on-windows-7-64-bit-machine
which does not help me much.

Bonus question: If there is, will FXRuby run in that environment?

Double Bonus question: Will FXRuby run in a JRuby environment?
For the double bonus question I saw
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/fxruby-users/2008-May/001517.html

There is *not* a 64-bit version of MRI Ruby 1.8.7 that runs on Windows. You could run 64-bit JRuby. If you use the current master, you get preliminary C extension support which may be far enough along to run FXRuby.

I do not think the Rubyinstaller project is planning a 64-bit 1.8.x release. I do know that they are working on a 64-bit 1.9.2 (or 1.9.3) release. It's a lot of work to get dependent libraries compiling cleanly on 64-bit Windows. You might want to help that project out. Go to rubyinstaller.org and read up on it.

As for a 64-bit FXRuby extension, you'll have to ask its maintainers.

cr

Luis Lavena

There is *not* a 64-bit version of MRI Ruby 1.8.7 that runs on Windows. You could run 64-bit JRuby. If you use the current master, you get preliminary C extension support which may be far enough along to run FXRuby.

I do not think the Rubyinstaller project is planning a 64-bit 1.8.x release.

64bits Ruby 1.8.x is not possible under Windows. Only on POSIX (LP64)