Windows 7 - 64-bit and MySql - what are my options?

Alpha Blue

I upgraded from 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit. Here is my environment:

Windows 7 - 64-bit
ruby 1.9.1p243 (i386-mingw32)

.. which was probably built on 32 bit.

I'm using the 64-bit version of mysql. What do I need to do to get this
running?

Before I get inundated with too much information, select the following
answer:

1. Reinstall Ruby 1.9.1 using a 64-bit mingw installer package (if such
a monster exists).
2. Install a 64-bit mysql gem (what is the command, the source, etc.)
3. Install a 32-bit version of mysql.
4. Other (I'll give you my answer)

Select an answer and provide some feedback where possible.

Many thanks in advance!

Luis Lavena

I upgraded from 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit.  Here is my environment:

Windows 7 - 64-bit
ruby 1.9.1p243 (i386-mingw32)

. which was probably built on 32 bit.

I'm using the 64-bit version of mysql.  What do I need to do to get this
running?

This might help:

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/04/19/quick-start-for-rails-on-windows-seven/
Before I get inundated with too much information, select the following
answer:

1.  Reinstall Ruby 1.9.1 using a 64-bit mingw installer package (if such
a monster exists).

Not available yet.
2.  Install a 64-bit mysql gem (what is the command, the source, etc.)

Since Ruby is 32-bits, there is no 64-bits version of the gem.
3.  Install a 32-bit version of mysql.

You can still use a 32-bits mysql DLL to connect to 64-bits MySQL.

Just download the simplest 32-bits package for the exact same version
of the compiled gem, and you can connect to any type of MySQL version.

HTH,

Walton Hoops

I upgraded from 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit. Here is my environment:

Windows 7 - 64-bit
ruby 1.9.1p243 (i386-mingw32)

.. which was probably built on 32 bit.

I'm using the 64-bit version of mysql. What do I need to do to get this
running?

Before I get inundated with too much information, select the following
answer:

1. Reinstall Ruby 1.9.1 using a 64-bit mingw installer package (if such
a monster exists).
2. Install a 64-bit mysql gem (what is the command, the source, etc.)
3. Install a 32-bit version of mysql.
4. Other (I'll give you my answer)

Select an answer and provide some feedback where possible.

Many thanks in advance!
4:) First make sure you installed rubyinstaller via
http://rubyinstaller.org/,
then install the DevKit (select addons from that very page). Then just
run 'gem install mysql'. voila!