Running ruby on 64-bit Windows causing performance Problems

Pra Bhandar

Hi,

I am trying to rollout a ruby agent in 32 bit and 64-bit Windows
Server(s). What I am finding out is that the 32 bit system the agent
works perfectly. In the 64-bit systems, the product works fine but the
agent seems to take 24 % of the CPU of the server. Where as in a system
similar but with 32-bit windows, the CPU usage maxes out at 1.5%.

Is there a way to compile Ruby for 64-bit Windows? Has anyone seen this
issue? Are there some tricks to solve this issue quickly?

Thank you for anyone's input in advance.

Prakash

Luis Lavena

Hi,

I am trying to rollout a ruby agent in 32 bit and 64-bit Windows
Server(s). What I am finding out is that the 32 bit system the agent
works perfectly.  In the 64-bit systems, the product works fine but the
agent seems to take 24 % of the CPU of the server.  Where as in a system
similar but with 32-bit windows, the CPU usage maxes out at 1.5%.

What version of ruby are you using for your agent?

How your script has been structured? It sit idle or performs any
routine or loops with sleep?
Is there a way to compile Ruby for 64-bit Windows?

Don't think that is the issue. Anyhow at this time only Visual Studio
64 bits can do it.

You would also need to compile every library and extension used by
ruby to run in 64 bits.
Has anyone seen this
issue?

No, using RubyInstaller daily in Windows 7 64 bits without these
issues.

Pra Bhandar

Luis said:
What version of ruby are you using for your agent?

I am using Ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24 patch level 111).

How your script has been structured? It sit idle or performs any
routine or loops with sleep?
Its running as a Windows service. It sleeps and wakes up every so many
seconds and checks if there is anything for it to do.
Don't think that is the issue. Anyhow at this time only Visual Studio
64 bits can do it.
What do you think is the issue? Looking at identical configurations -
one on 64-bit vs 32-bit I was convinced that somehow this issue is
related to WOW64.dll or the mismatch in the bits.
You would also need to compile every library and extension used by
ruby to run in 64 bits.

No, using RubyInstaller daily in Windows 7 64 bits without these
issues.

Installer works just fine. There are no errors, just the very
predictable spikes on the 64-bit servers only.

Any pointers even if they have not been validated would be very much
welcome.

Thanks.

Prakash