tool to draw FSM bubble diagram

Ingmar Seifert

Hello,

I want to draw the bubble diagram of a state machine and include this
diagram in my Latex documentation.

Does a tool exists where you can draw bubble diagrams of a FSM and then
export this to .eps or another image format?
I would prefer a free available tool if possible.

Thanks in advance
Ingmar Seifert

Ralf Hildebrandt

Hi Ingmar!

I want to draw the bubble diagram of a state machine and include this
diagram in my Latex documentation.

I use xfig for this.
Resons: free, small, good eps-Export, available on many unix machines

I've haerd about a Java-version, but did not test it.

Ralf

Mike Treseler

Ingmar said:
I want to draw the bubble diagram of a state machine and include this
diagram in my Latex documentation.

Does a tool exists where you can draw bubble diagrams of a FSM and then
export this to .eps or another image format?
I would prefer a free available tool if possible.

On linux, xfig and dia meet those requirements.
However, I quit using even these, when I discovered
that I have no audience for such artwork.

I agree with you that documentation is the
best use for such diagrams if you have
an interested audience.

I have found that other geeks just want the code,
and management only want's one bit of information:

variable does_it_work_yet: boolean;

My process is to start with a sketch in
my notebook. Once the code sims ok,
I make a simple text diagram above the case
statement -- just enough for a memory jog.

--Mike Treseler

Joe Chisolm

Ingmar said:
The reason I want to draw the bubble diagram is that I have to document
the VHDL-design I made as my study work.

Yes. I can imagine that.
I don't think that Latex is used in companies for documentation. I'm
pretty sure that this is all MS based.

You might try a tool called Toolkit for Conceptual Modeling
(TCM). It's free and has state diagrams, ER, and some other
capabilities. Here's a link I found via google:
http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~tcm/

Ingmar Seifert

Joe said:
Ingmar Seifert wrote:

I want to draw the bubble diagram of a state machine and include this
diagram in my Latex documentation.

You might try a tool called Toolkit for Conceptual Modeling
(TCM). It's free and has state diagrams, ER, and some other
capabilities. Here's a link I found via google:
http://wwwhome.cs.utwente.nl/~tcm/

Thank you. It looks like this tool could fit my needs. I will try it out.

Ingmar Seifert