top margin opera firefox

the idiot

im sure this is a daft question but i dont mind showing myself up ho hum...
but how do i get the top margin in opera and firefox to be 0px.. no matter
what i do there is always what looks like a 10px gap...
this also applies to the left margin in opera.

Dylan Parry

Using a pointed stick and pebbles, the idiot scraped:
im sure this is a daft question but i dont mind showing myself up ho hum...
but how do i get the top margin in opera and firefox to be 0px

Try setting the body element's "margin" *and* "padding" in your CSS.

Els

the said:
im sure this is a daft question but i dont mind showing myself up ho hum...
but how do i get the top margin in opera and firefox to be 0px.. no matter
what i do there is always what looks like a 10px gap...
this also applies to the left margin in opera.

Add *{margin:0;padding:0;} to the top of your stylesheet, and see if
the gap goes away. If it does, all you have to do is check element by
element where the margin or padding needs to be set to 0.

A much quicker method could be posting the URL here, so we can
actually see what you mean ;-)

the idiot

--
eek sorry too many things on brain.. and i am a man so can only do one thing
at once.

the idiot

Els said:
At a first glance I think it may be caused by the top margin on the
h1. What happens if you set it to 0?
i'll have a look and get back to you, though you will notice that my
horizontal menu also suffers from the same prob in opera..

the idiot

Els said:
At a first glance I think it may be caused by the top margin on the
h1. What happens if you set it to 0?
aha fixes the prob in firefox but opera is still a mess...
how do you lot ever get any work done when you seem to spend all your time
on here helping the likes of me?

Els

the said:
aha fixes the prob in firefox but opera is still a mess...

Well, I don't know how to edit styles locally in Opera, so I'm afraid
you'll have to do that yourself (I don't have the time to copy the
entire lot of html, css and images over to my own server). But the
first step should be setting *{margin:0;padding:0;}. Temporarily of
course. Do the gaps disappear when you do that?
how do you lot ever get any work done when you seem to spend all your time
on here helping the likes of me?

I'm on my break <g>

the idiot

Els said:
Well, I don't know how to edit styles locally in Opera, so I'm afraid
you'll have to do that yourself (I don't have the time to copy the
entire lot of html, css and images over to my own server). But the
first step should be setting *{margin:0;padding:0;}. Temporarily of
course. Do the gaps disappear when you do that?

I'm on my break <g>
i'll do some more poking and experimenting to see what happens.. thanks alot
though.

the idiot

Els said:
Well, I don't know how to edit styles locally in Opera, so I'm afraid
you'll have to do that yourself (I don't have the time to copy the
entire lot of html, css and images over to my own server). But the
first step should be setting *{margin:0;padding:0;}. Temporarily of
course. Do the gaps disappear when you do that?

I'm on my break <g>
i stuck the header back into the wrapper and then gave the norizontal menu a
top-margin: -20px till it worked in opera.. so all is well. apart from
everything else. thanks agin.

Els

i stuck the header back into the wrapper and then gave the norizontal menu a
top-margin: -20px till it worked in opera.. so all is well. apart from
everything else.

I can see it's different in Opera than before, (no white gaps), but
it's not exactly what you want - or at least not in my Opera (8). I
suppose Firefox shows it how you intended?

I found the reason for the top gap in Opera:
You started the stylesheets with a charset line. I don't know about
validity of that, but
a) it causes the first next style to be omitted by Opera (hence, the
padding:0; didn't kick in)
b) I never used a charset line like that, and never had problems with
browsers not understanding my characters.

The space between the #navcontainer and the #header is caused by the
margin-bottom of the h1. Change margin-top:0; into margin:0; and
you're done :)

the idiot

Els said:
I can see it's different in Opera than before, (no white gaps), but
it's not exactly what you want - or at least not in my Opera (8). I
suppose Firefox shows it how you intended?

I found the reason for the top gap in Opera:
You started the stylesheets with a charset line. I don't know about
validity of that, but
a) it causes the first next style to be omitted by Opera (hence, the
padding:0; didn't kick in)
b) I never used a charset line like that, and never had problems with
browsers not understanding my characters.

The space between the #navcontainer and the #header is caused by the
margin-bottom of the h1. Change margin-top:0; into margin:0; and
you're done :)
i am on my knees. thankyou.

the idiot

Els said:
I can see it's different in Opera than before, (no white gaps), but
it's not exactly what you want - or at least not in my Opera (8). I
suppose Firefox shows it how you intended?

I found the reason for the top gap in Opera:
You started the stylesheets with a charset line. I don't know about
validity of that, but
a) it causes the first next style to be omitted by Opera (hence, the
padding:0; didn't kick in)
b) I never used a charset line like that, and never had problems with
browsers not understanding my characters.

The space between the #navcontainer and the #header is caused by the
margin-bottom of the h1. Change margin-top:0; into margin:0; and
you're done :)
i use ace html for writing me stuff and that automatically stciks the
charset thing in when i make a new stylesheet so i just thought it was
supposed to be there... thanks again.

Adrienne

i use ace html for writing me stuff and that automatically stciks the
charset thing in when i make a new stylesheet so i just thought it was
supposed to be there... thanks again.

I was like you once... you will like Top Style better, and it might
integrate with Ace (don't know for sure). Top Style:
<http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/>, there's also a lite version available
in the download section.

the idiot

Adrienne said:
Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "the idiot"
writing in

I was like you once... you will like Top Style better, and it might
integrate with Ace (don't know for sure). Top Style:
<http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/>, there's also a lite version available
in the download section.
funnily enough i do use topstyle as well but mainly for validating
stuff.... i find it too annoying to actually write in.. unless thats just
me having the settings wrong..
thanks for thinking of me though.

Adrienne

funnily enough i do use topstyle as well but mainly for validating
stuff.... i find it too annoying to actually write in.. unless thats
just me having the settings wrong..
thanks for thinking of me though.

TopStyle has an HTML editor, but I never use that, it does too much
prompting for my taste (I use HTML-Kit). However, I do like the CSS editor,
it does just enough prompting. I usually start writing my CSS in the head
section, then when I'm happy with it, I copy it to TopStyle, so I really
only use it when I can't remember a property (sometimes it's faster to use
TopStyle than to look it up) or a color value.

the idiot

Adrienne said:
TopStyle has an HTML editor, but I never use that, it does too much
prompting for my taste (I use HTML-Kit). However, I do like the CSS editor,
it does just enough prompting. I usually start writing my CSS in the head
section, then when I'm happy with it, I copy it to TopStyle, so I really
only use it when I can't remember a property (sometimes it's faster to use
TopStyle than to look it up) or a color value.
i find that when i left clickon a point in the page to start adding some
code (and then type away furiously without looking up) that it has done
nothing and i have to left click again and start again.... which is far too
annoying. (or am i doing something wrong) ...probably. bah.. do like it
though. but i learnt html on ace so i stick to that.

the idiot

the idiot said:
i find that when i left clickon a point in the page to start adding some
code (and then type away furiously without looking up) that it has done
nothing and i have to left click again and start again.... which is far too
annoying. (or am i doing something wrong) ...probably. bah.. do like it
though. but i learnt html on ace so i stick to that.
obviously i just opened topstyle and it did no such thing... words typed
appeared immediately. but but but it certainly does something like that to
annoy me.
gah.. time for another cold one i think