Tracing method definition in core and stdlibs?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by John Wells, Mar 20, 2009.

  1. John Wells

    John Wells Guest

    Hi guys,

    I'm interested in tracing method definition in core and stdlibs.
    However, I'm not sure how to hook in the process at such an early
    stage.

    For example, if I put the following code in trace.rb:

    [Class, Module].each do |n|
    n.class_eval do |clz|
    def method_added(x)
    puts "Method==#{x}"
    end
    end
    end

    And then call

    $ ruby -rtrace.rb -e 'puts "test"'

    I only see two "Method==" outputted...both "Method==method_added", and
    both obviously in response to this code itself.

    Is there a way to hook in earlier?

    Thanks,
    John

    John Wells, Mar 20, 2009

  2. Probably not as many methods of the standard library are define in C
    code and I doubt that will trigger a method_added.

    Btw, what do you need that for?

    Cheers

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Mar 20, 2009

  3. John Wells

    John Wells Guest

    Yes, but I'd expect to see a good bit that were ruby too, correct?

    I'd like to create a utility method that would allow me to easily see
    everywhere a method (file name, line number) is defined...I have it
    working for scripts I write myself, but only going forward from that
    script scope...not back through the libs. So I'd like to hook in
    early...before any ruby files are loaded at all.

    John Wells, Mar 20, 2009
  4. John Wells

    John Wells Guest

    Is there any way to accomplish this in 1.8.x?

    Thanks,
    John

    John Wells, Mar 20, 2009
  5. Lack of responses to me indicates that you probably need to hack Ruby's
    C core to achieve what you want. If you just want to see method
    definitions you can as well get Ruby sources and search through them.

    Kind regards

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Mar 21, 2009
  6. John Wells

    John Wells Guest

    Thanks Robert. I wasn't thinking properly about it. I believe you were
    correct in saying most everything loaded before doing a simple puts is
    just C code...the more I thought about it (and after running strace to
    verify), it seems that no external ruby libs are loaded up by the
    interpreter assuming that your code doesn't do any specific requires.
    So, the code I showed gave no results correctly...but if you change it
    to:

    $ ruby -rtrace.rb -e 'require "net/http"'

    You get the expected results. So, in lieu of having rubinius, I think
    that's the best you can expect. Everything else you'd have to dive
    into the C for. And honestly, I don't really care about the C...I'm
    more interested in being able to debug libraries and gems that are
    more promiscuous than they should be.

    I appreciate your help and guidance.

    John

    John Wells, Mar 21, 2009