Tracing simple question

Guest

Dear all,

I have an applicatin that generate a querry to an SQL server, then display
results on a second webform.

I try to see how tracing works, then I have notice that as soon as I
implement tracing on the page, when I click on the BACK button of explorer I
get a warning message that information of the page needs to be resend to be
displayed ?

What does it behave like this when tracing is On ?

thanks for your help
regards
serge

Guest

Hi Serge,

Enabling tracing should not have this effect. Instead I think it is the way
you are navigating between the two pages.

You will receive that message when you try to return to a page that contains
HTTP POST data. This may be the case for you if you used Server.Transfer to
navigate to the next page after a button click. Using Response.Redirect
instead would not do this, although it may not fit your requirements.

It's not something to worry about as such, but just be aware of it.

Hope that helps ... let me know if I was way off the mark ;-)
Matt

S. Justin Gengo

Serge,

That's normal browser behaviour whenever POST vs. GET is used to move data
from one web page to another.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

Guest

Yes mat I navigate from first page to second page as follow :

Server.Transfer("Result.aspx?ReelId=" & Me.lstTable.SelectedValue)

Then I come back from second page to initial page as follow :
<INPUT type="button" value="New Search" onclick="history.back()">

I have to say that when tracing is OFF, I can reach the initial page without
this message, but when tracing is ON I get it

I just try to understand why

regards
serge

Guest

But why it behaves like this only when Tracing is On ?

What is the rules then if any?

I just try to understand for my asp exam

regards
serge

Guest

Hi Serge,

They way I understand it is that the tracing is done via a HttpModule
implementation. This therefore fits into the Request pipeline before/after a
page is rendered. If you use the page output option, the trace data is added
to the end and so this may be causing your issue.

I have to admit, I'm not 100% sure. Maybe try turning off the page output
and use the Trace.axd approach instead and see if it still does it. Also, I
tend to avoid using the history.back() method if I'm not using
Response.Redirect ...

Matt