transitioning to modern C++

John Goche

Hello,

I have studied C++ in 2002, but it seems the language has undergone
some changes
in syntax and other additions since then. Could anyone please
recommend
a reference book which would facilitate the transition to a modern
version of C++?
I am looking for specific coverage of TR1 and threading which as I
understand is now
part of C++11. I am also interested in TR2 and boost, but specifically
for the parts which
are destined to become part of C++. I know some of the information can
be found here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C++_Technical_Report_1 but I would
like a more
in depth coverage with all the nitty gritty details.

Thanks for your recommendations,

Trying to keep up with times,

John Goche

Jorgen Grahn

Hello,

I have studied C++ in 2002, but it seems the language has undergone some changes
in syntax and other additions since then. Could anyone please recommend
a reference book which would facilitate the transition to a modern version of C++?

It depends on what you did in 2002 and what you've done since then.

C++98 existed in 2002, but lots of people in practice wrote code which
didn't use the standard library, exceptions, templates ... If you're
not very familiar with those already, start there and don't worry too
much about TR1 or the new standard.
I am looking for specific coverage of TR1 and threading which as I understand is now
part of C++11. I am also interested in TR2 and boost, but specifically for the parts which
are destined to become part of C++. I know some of the information can be found here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C++_Technical_Report_1
but I would like a more in depth coverage with all the nitty gritty details.

I'll pass here. Personally I'm waiting for a new edition of "The C++
Programming Language", but its release date is a year into the future

/Jorgen

Ian Collins

Hello,

I have studied C++ in 2002, but it seems the language has undergone
some changes
in syntax and other additions since then. Could anyone please
recommend
a reference book which would facilitate the transition to a modern
version of C++?
I am looking for specific coverage of TR1 and threading which as I
understand is now
part of C++11. I am also interested in TR2 and boost, but specifically
for the parts which
are destined to become part of C++. I know some of the information can
be found here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C++_Technical_Report_1 but I would
like a more
in depth coverage with all the nitty gritty details.

Pete Becker's book "Standard Library Extensions" provides a good
introduction to the TR1 extensions.

8

88888 Dihedral

Suppose I have to deal with sets of items tagged as 0..255.

And I have to check the union and intersection of sets that could
contain repeated tags of items very often.

The set library in the C++ template standard library
is too slow in the run time.

Ian Collins

Suppose I have to deal with sets of items tagged as 0..255.

And I have to check the union and intersection of sets that could
contain repeated tags of items very often.

The set library in the C++ template standard library
is too slow in the run time.

Are you replying to me, or just posting more random nonsense?

Lynn McGuire

[...]

Here are some notes about the C11 changes:

And Stroustrup likes it !
http://www.softwarequalityconnection.com/2011/06/the-biggest-changes-in-c11-and-why-you-should-care/

"Bjarne Stroustrup, the creator of C++, said recently that C++11
“feels like a new language — the pieces just fit together better.”
Indeed, core C++11 has changed significantly. It now supports
lambda expressions, automatic type deduction of objects, uniform
initialization syntax, delegating constructors, deleted and
defaulted function declarations, nullptr, and most importantly,
rvalue references — a feature that augurs a paradigm shift in how
one conceives and handles objects. And that’s just a sample."

"The C++11 Standard Library was also revamped with new algorithms,
new container classes, atomic operations, type traits, regular
expressions, new smart pointers, async() facility, and of course
a multithreading library."

Congrats and Thanks ! Looks like Visual Studio 2010
already has a few of these:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2010/04/06/c-0x-core-language-features-in-vc10-the-table.aspx

And gcc has several also:
http://gcc.gnu.org/projects/cxx0x.html