Trouble with server-side includes

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Roderic Potter, Aug 12, 2005.

  1. Hi group, I am new here, I would appreciate any help:

    I am a webmaster for an engineering society here in Ottawa, Canada.

    Each month I create an HTML newsletter using Dreamweaver MX and save it as a
    document. Then to send it out I use Outlook Express, create a new document
    from HTML, point it at the newsletter, and the email appears wonderfully for
    me to send out.

    I have realized that I also put large chunks of the newsletter in various
    locations on the website, i.e.. this story here, that story there etc.

    So I would like to create the newsletter and other areas of the site from
    server-side includes, which would preclude me from having duplicated code
    everywhere.

    This creates the problem that when I create the new document in Outlook
    Express, it does not understand the server-side calls and presents me with a
    blank page.

    I ask these questions:
    Should I be using a different piece of software to create the html email,
    one that will understand server-side includes, and if so, which one?

    I notice that when I am developing a document in Dreamweaver that has
    server-side includes, the includes appear reasonably well in the preview
    pane, and also when I use the preview in browser option. However if I save
    the document and load it directly into IE, the server-side stuff does not
    appear. I expect this is because I am simply running a stand-alone PC
    without any web-server running locally. If this is the case, is there a way
    I can perhaps emulate an Apache server on my machine without installing the
    full server system?

    It has been suggested that I could get around the problem with OE by
    creating the original document with includes, drop it on my website at my
    ISP, load it into IE, view source, and select all to capture an html
    document that OE would understand for sending. But the question here is
    whether the full source is viewable behind the scenes in IE, or will the
    source just show the calls to the includes?

    I hope someone can help me with this, I would appreciate it greatly!

    cheers

    Roderic Potter Rodders CAS ...motivation is keyT Building System Surveys
    AutoCad System Design & Customization ( 613.266.2134 7 613.839.3226 8
    * 155 Pineridge Rd. RR#3 Carp ON K0A 1L0

    Roderic Potter, Aug 12, 2005

  2. Roderic Potter

    Sid Ismail Guest

    : I ask these questions:
    : Should I be using a different piece of software to create the html email,
    : one that will understand server-side includes, and if so, which one?

    Create a website, and email them a URL. Easiest. :)

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Aug 12, 2005

  3. Roderic Potter

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Of course it doesn't -- only the server understands them -- hence the
    name: "server-side includes".

    As Sid said, create the document and send them the URL -- perhaps with a
    brief summary in the e-mail:

    Subject: Weekly newsletter (13 Aug 2005)
    Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2005 07:41:28 +0000

    In this issue:

    * Civil engineers - boring or not?
    http://ottawa-eng-soc.ca.invalid/nl/20050813#civil

    * An interview with Ottawa University's Head of Engineering
    http://ottawa-eng-soc.ca.invalid/nl/20050813#interview

    * A review of the new book "How to Fix an Engine"
    http://ottawa-eng-soc.ca.invalid/nl/20050813#review1

    and many more reviews, articles and news items from around the
    world.

    Read the newsletter by visiting:
    http://ottawa-eng-soc.ca.invalid/nl/20050813

    --------
    To unsubscribe, visit:
    http://ottawa-eng-soc.ca.invalid/nl/prefs?

    To see our archives of back issues, visit:
    http://ottawa-eng-soc.ca.invalid/nl/index

    Toby Inkster, Aug 13, 2005
  4. Thanks for this Toby, you put in a lot of work and I appreciate it.

    I knew some time ago that I could have adopted this approach, which is
    without doubt much less complicated.

    However it was decided that the formulation of an html newsletter that is
    actually "pushed" to the membership is much more likely to result in the
    recipient "reading" the material. I guess this is an arguable point.

    Anyway I will continue to try to find a solution to the problem through
    other means...

    cheers to you and Sid

    Roderic Potter, Aug 14, 2005
  5. Roderic Potter

    Andy Dingley Guest

    If you send out a HTML-only newsletter then we _will_ hunt you down and
    kill you.

    MIME email means that you can easily include the text-only version at
    the same time.

    Andy Dingley, Aug 14, 2005
  6. Roderic Potter

    Stan McCann Guest

    And, IMO, more acceptable.
    Very arguable. Since email works best with plain text (avoids HTML and
    the possibility of running javascript or other scripting languages
    without my permission or knowlege), I have my email program set to
    never open an HTML email; they get deleted unread.

    "Pushing" HTML in an email to some people simply results in an unread
    deleted message.
    Maybe do your HTML newsletter on your website and send out plain text
    versions in email. So, you don't have all of your formatting in an
    email. I, for one, prefer it that way. Before denying HTML emails, it
    was awful to open an email and see some of the colors, graphics, and
    whatnot that people "think" is cool.

    Stan McCann, Aug 19, 2005
  7. Roderic Potter

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Stan McCann quothed:
    Yes. Some of the things people do in life are just horrible so I think
    I'll commit suicide.

    Neredbojias, Aug 19, 2005
  8. Roderic Potter

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
    From the way you made it sound, I'd be a new woman.

    Neredbojias, Aug 20, 2005
  9. Roderic Potter

    dorayme Guest

    No, you misunderstand for a simple reason. You need to see
    the film and pay close attention. I am not making a sexual
    or anatomical point here. I know this is hard for you with
    your preoccupations to understand. But please try. I am
    trying to help you out here.

    dorayme

    dorayme, Aug 20, 2005
  10. Roderic Potter

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
    That's usually the case.
    It's hard to do 2 things at once.
    Why not?
    When you've got it, flaunt it.
    Out of what? When I was in Germany, they have these real skinny toilet
    seats there and I fell in the crapper, but that was a long time ago.
    Obviously I got out, and, as far as I know, nothing's come up since even
    suggesting that I might need help out of it.

    Neredbojias, Aug 20, 2005