TypeConverter for a generics list

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Imar Spaanjaars, Jan 30, 2008.

  1. Hello everyone,

    I am trying to write a TypeConverter for a property of type StringCollection
    or List<string> that I want to persist as a comma separated value. E.g. in
    markup I want to be able to use this:

    <isp:SomeControl Value="1,2,3" runat="server" ID=MyControl" />

    While in code, I want to be able to use something like:

    MyControl.Value.Add(1);

    Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to do this? I looked at
    the StringArrayConverter in the WebControls namespace which seems close to
    what I want to accomplish.

    I tried different flavors of code involving ITypeDescriptorContext, various
    CanConvert* methods etc but none seem to work so far. I either get no
    results, or I get run-time errors.

    In case anyone wants to give this a try, here's the code for the actual
    control with the StringCollection property and the converter:

    (Converter)
    http://imar.spaanjaars.com/Downloads/Other/ServerControls/StringCollectionTypeConverter.txt

    (Control)
    http://imar.spaanjaars.com/Downloads/Other/ServerControls/ModuleSettings.txt