Typical Exception Handling Implementation

Dave Rahardja

Don't know if this is a C++ /language/ question, but I think this may be the
best place to ask.

What's a typical implementation of the exception handling mechanism in C++?
Specifically...

1. How do they track which auto objects have been constructed, and in which
order?

2. Where is the code stored that implements stack unwinding?

3. What's a typical strategy for finding the appropriate exception handler?
Does exception handling always imply the use of RTTI?

-dr

Artie Gold

Dave said:
Don't know if this is a C++ /language/ question, but I think this may be the
best place to ask.

Alas, it's not.
What's a typical implementation of the exception handling mechanism in C++?
Specifically...

1. How do they track which auto objects have been constructed, and in which
order?

2. Where is the code stored that implements stack unwinding?

3. What's a typical strategy for finding the appropriate exception handler?
Does exception handling always imply the use of RTTI?

'Round these parts, the answer is `it's magic'!

Advice: Try Be advised that it's a moderated group, so answers may be long in
coming. (Of course, scouring its archives would likely give you at least
some information.)

HTH,
--ag

Dave Rahardja

Advice: Try Be advised that it's a moderated group, so answers may be long in
coming. (Of course, scouring its archives would likely give you at least
some information.)

It would be great if my ISP (Road Runner) carried that newsgroup. Oh well.

-dr

GB

Dave said:
It would be great if my ISP (Road Runner) carried that newsgroup. Oh well.

If you don't mind using a web interface, you can access Usenet news
groups for reading and posting through groups.google.com. Enter the
group name in the search box, and you will get the recent subject
headers for the group. The compiler group is at

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.compilers

Gregg