UDP firewall

Terracotta

Hi:

we have a serious problem on our UDP server, which receives data from
our client, but sometimes there just too much spam (same messages send
to our
server at same time, or during a very short period).

my question is, what's the most efficient way to filters or block such
spam,
I mean in the socket level.. I expect detailed answer, code sample
would be much appreciated.

Shanyangqu
Many Thanks

GArlington

Hi:

we have a serious problem on our UDP server, which receives data from
our client, but sometimes there just too much spam (same messages send
to our
server at same time, or during a very short period).

my question is, what's the most efficient way to filters or block such
spam,
I mean in the socket level.. I expect detailed answer, code sample
would be much appreciated.

Shanyangqu
Many Thanks

How do you intend to separate "spam" (or noise) from meaningful
messages?
What is generating the "spam"? Is it your client(s)? Then the best way
is to reprogram your clients...

Nigel Wade

Terracotta said:
Hi:

we have a serious problem on our UDP server, which receives data from
our client, but sometimes there just too much spam (same messages send
to our
server at same time, or during a very short period).

Since you call it "spam" I presume it is unsolicited and from unwanted sources?
If not you could use more appropriate terminology.
my question is, what's the most efficient way to filters or block such
spam,

Use a firewall and only allow data from accepted sources. Get a better firewall
which allows you to rate limit traffic.
I mean in the socket level..

You can't at the socket level, only at the network interface. If you want your
program to filter it then it has to read it, determine that it is "spam" and
ignore it. However, with UDP that's probably not possible because it's not a
guaranteed delivery mechanism - if packets arrive too fast they will be
dropped. You would have to correct your communications protocol to handle those
lost packets and that's tricky, one of the reasons UDP is not always an
appropriate transfer protocol.
I expect detailed answer,

Really? That's a rather arrogant presumption.