Unable to Start Debugging Error

Guest

Hello,

When I try to run my aspx web page using Start>Debug I receive the following
error: "Error while trying to run project : Unable to start debugging on the
web server. Would you like to disable future attempts to debug ASP.NET pages
for this project?" I have found some KB Articles that provide a resolution to
this issue but nothing seems to work; I continue to get the error. So far I
have
done the following:
1.Repaired the IIS Mapping using the aspnet_regiis.exe -i command.
2.Re-registered the aspnet_isapi.dll file
3.Ran the iisreset command.
4.Added myself as a user to the debugger users group
5.In IIS I have gone to the properties for the default web site\project
folder and made sure that the application name was entered in the Application
Name field on the Directories Tab.
6. Also in IIS default web site\project folder properties I have clicked on
the Configure button and made sure that aspx files are properly mapped on the
mapping tab.
I don't know what else to do to resolve this. I can run the application
without any errors if I choose to start without debugging. My OS is XP Pro
SP2 with IE6 SP1. Any help in resolving this issue will be greatly
appreciated.

Dave Y

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Do you have a special account in the processmodel section of your
machine.config?

Make sure it is part of the debugger, VS developer and admin groups. May
need a reboot as well.

Guest

Hi Ken,

Below is the line of code from the ProcessModel section of the
machine.config file:

<section name="processModel"
type="System.Web.Configuration.ProcessModelConfigurationHandler, System.Web,
Version=1.0.5000.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
allowDefinition="MachineOnly"/>

I'm new to IIS and ASP.NET so I'm not sure what should be in this section.
The administrator, ASPNET, Debugger Users and my username are all set as
users to the project folder in the C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\projectname folder. In
the meantime, I will reboot and see what happens from there. I am running IIS
on my local machine if that helps to provide any more possible necessary
information. Thank you for your reply and any further suggestions you may
have.

Dave Y

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Dave,

There's an article here that describes the use of the ASPNET account:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/secmod/html/secmod15.asp?frame=true#secmod15_configureaspnet

"The default account for running ASP.NET, created at installation time, is a
least privileged local account and is specified in machine.config as
follows:

<processModel enable="true" userName="machine" password="AutoGenerate" />

This account is identified as ASPNET under Local Users and Groups, and has a
strong password secured in the Local System Authority (LSA)."

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hey Dave,

If you still can't get this going, call MS Support. If you describe this as
an installation/setup issue the support incident should be free.

Guest

Hey Ken,

Thank you for the link to the article and the suggestion to call support.
I'm going to read the article first. One other wierd thing. The debug issue
seems to be project specific because I have another project that I can run
using the debugger with out getting the error. I'm baffled. Thank you for
your replies and assistance.

Dave Y