Unbalanced tag

francan

I have just one java bean call on a page with no other info on it and
it always worked in Tomcat 4.
Now that I upgraded to Tomcat 6.0.18 I get error message:
org.apache.jasper.JasperException: /view.jsp(16,47) The end tag "</
jsp:" is unbalanced

It doesnt seem to like the bean endtag (</jsp:useBean>) that
has a scope = request:
<jsp:useBean id="checking" scope="request" class="bank.Checking" >
<jsp:getProperty name="checking" property="balance" />
</jsp:useBean>

The below works for me in Tomcat 6.
I have to eliminate the end tag.
Will I have any object leaks or any issue by eliminating the bean
endtag (</jsp:useBean>)?
<jsp:useBean id="checking" scope="request" class="bank.Checking" />
<jsp:getProperty name="checking" property="balance" />

On my other pages when I use scope=page it works with the end
tag:
<jsp:useBean id="customerDate" scope="page" class="dater.Lastupdate"
<jsp:getProperty name="customerDate" property="infoDate" />
</jsp:useBean>

Please advise.