unifying many packages under one name

Eric S. Johansson

I have a collection of packages and I want to put them under single unifying
name. my goal is to reduce namespace pollution and make all these packages
accessible as 'import vvv.aaa'. In more detail, if I have packages 'aaa' and
'bbb', what do I do to put those packages under unifying name such as 'vvv'?
the only way I can see to do it is to create 'vvv' as a directory with its own
__init__.py but I'm not sure that were work right either.

thanks.

Peter Otten

Eric said:
I have a collection of packages and I want to put them under single
unifying
name. my goal is to reduce namespace pollution and make all these
packages accessible as 'import vvv.aaa'. In more detail, if I have
packages 'aaa' and 'bbb', what do I do to put those packages under
unifying name such as 'vvv'? the only way I can see to do it is to create
'vvv' as a directory with its own __init__.py but I'm not sure that were
work right either.

Of course you could make a module vvv.py with lots of import statements

import aaa
import bbb
import zzz

but then all submodules are imported eagerly with

import vvv

And then there's the hack

import sys

class Importer(object):
def __getattr__(self, name):
module = __import__(name) # you can do anything here
setattr(self, name, module)
return module

sys.modules["vvv"] = Importer()

Peter

James Stroud

Eric said:
I have a collection of packages and I want to put them under single
unifying name. my goal is to reduce namespace pollution and make all
these packages accessible as 'import vvv.aaa'. In more detail, if I have
packages 'aaa' and 'bbb', what do I do to put those packages under
unifying name such as 'vvv'? the only way I can see to do it is to
create 'vvv' as a directory with its own __init__.py but I'm not sure
that were work right either.

thanks.

I don't see why it would be a problem:

py> import os
py> for afile in os.listdir('pypack'):
.... if not afile.endswith('pyc'):
.... print '# %s' % afile
.... print open(os.path.join('pypack', afile)).read().strip()
.... print '# end of file\n\n'
# __init__.py
from mod1 import x
from mod2 import y
# end of file

# mod1.py
x = 14
# end of file

# mod2.py
y = 42
# end of file

py> import pypack
py> dir(pypack)

['__builtins__',
'__doc__',
'__file__',
'__name__',
'__path__',
'mod1',
'mod2',
'x',
'y']
py> pypack.mod1
<module 'pypack.mod1' from 'pypack/mod1.py'>

James