"Updated * hours * minutes ago" Script

Steevo

Is there a way of producing a script to automatically update and show:

"Updated x hours and x minutes ago on xx/xx/xx"

I currently have a script to automatically show the date and time the page
was last updated in the format:

"Updated February 5, 2004 at 23:24 "

although would like to take this a little bit further and make it a little
more interesting.

Many thanks

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <[email protected]>, seen in
news:comp.lang.javascript said:
Is there a way of producing a script to automatically update and show:

"Updated x hours and x minutes ago on xx/xx/xx"

I currently have a script to automatically show the date and time the page
was last updated in the format:

"Updated February 5, 2004 at 23:24 "

although would like to take this a little bit further and make it a little
more interesting.

What do you want to know that cannot be found by using the newsgroup
FAQ?

Be aware that, since the author updated the page, it should be most
fitting to give this information for the author's time zone.

However, the author's time zone is AIUI unknowable, unless he chooses to
code it in.

Since the web is world-wide, the date/time can reasonably be given in
GMT; and that is how Last-Modified: is sent. Some browsers give
lastModified in GMT, without zonal indication; some with GMT - they may,
of course not get it right, so testing is desirable.

Remember that 24 hours before noon on Mar 28 2004 is 11:00h Mar 27 2004.

The reliable way is to train yourself to edit the date and time of the
change, with "GMT", in the HTML. Be wary of "BST"; it is used for
British Summer Time, Brazil Standard Time, and Bering Summer Time (at
least).

Steevo

--

Many thanks for your post. Unfortunatly I think you may have misunderstood
my need. I am looking for a script which will add "Updated * hours * minutes

Many thanks once again